Wellness > Mental Health

Ways to take care of yourself during National Stress Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

April is recognized as National Stress Awareness Month. Coincidentally, the month often coincides with campus events, finals, and graduation… activities that tend to cause distress for college students. To ensure that you thrive during the first full month of spring and finish the school year strong, check out these tips that will help you prioritize your health during National Stress Awareness Month.

1. Take breaks

It’s so easy to get caught up in the hecticness of final projects and major deadlines during April. With that comes high levels of distress and spending excessive time trying to get things completed. Make sure to take 5-to-10-minute breaks while you’re working and studying for hours at a time; this will help your brain stay energized and give you time to relax.

2. Journal

Stress can be caused by the subconscious feeling of being overwhelmed. To give your thoughts a place beside your head, write them down in a journal. You can draft to-do lists, your feelings of gratitude, and address the root of your stress by giving it a physical place to be (on paper). Taking 10 to 15 minutes at the end or beginning of your day to journal can help you become focused and regulate your mental health.

3. Listen to uplifting music

A good song can help you channel positive energy and stay grounded, so an entire playlist of uplifting music can work wonders. Compile your favorite songs into a playlist and listen to them while you work, study, shower, or whenever you feel like it.

4. Meditate

Remember those 5-to-10-minute breaks you should take? Those are the perfect opportunity to pull up a short, guided meditation and relax. Meditating can help lower your blood pressure, ground you, and allow you to become more mindful.

5. Plan out your time

Whether you keep a calendar, set reminders, or write out a to-do list, planning can help stop preventable problems from surfacing. Often, distress can be induced by forgetting about deadlines or events until they are about to happen or have already happened; avoid this by planning out your time.

6. Exercise

You don’t have to do a hardcore workout five times a week to help alleviate your stress. By taking a few walks a day, doing yoga, or going for a swim, your mental and physical health will reap the benefits. These activities can be done while you take your infamous breaks, or they can be hobbies that you find joy in doing alone or with friends.

7. Go outside

Even if it’s only for a few minutes, go outside and soak up some vitamin D. Exposing yourself to the elements can bring feelings of relaxation and mindfulness, and getting UV exposure is necessary for keeping your body healthy. The spring will only be here for so long, so enjoy the outdoors while you can!

8. Stay hydrated

If there is one thing you take from this list, let it be this: DRINK WATER. Staying hydrated is important all the time but especially when you are likely to become mentally or physically exhausted. So instead of grabbing an energy drink (or in addition to one) to sip on while studying, fill up a reusable bottle full of water to keep yourself hydrated.

9. Fuel your body

Going hand-in-hand with hydrating, fueling your body is another important thing during distress. Eating healthy snacks like yogurt, almonds, pretzels, carrots, apples, and more can help you feel good and remain energized throughout the day. You can plan or cook your meals in advance, so you won’t be as tempted to go through a drive-thru.

10. Ask for help

The most important thing you can do when your stress levels feel like they’re out of your control is asking for help. Most college campuses have mental health services available, especially during the “crunch time” of the semester, so use these resources to your advantage. You can also get in contact with a trusted friend or family member, as well as your doctor. Other accessible options include getting in touch with mental health resources online or calling help hotlines. Helpful resources for those feeling extreme distress: National Suicide Prevention HotlineNational Alliance on Mental Health, and Crisis Text Line.

Your mental health is a priority, and reaching out for help is ALWAYS okay. Don’t let your stress consume you. Keep these 10 tips in mind to take care of yourself during National Stress Awareness Month.

Howdy! My name is Sydnie Harrell, and I served as President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at TAMU for the 2022-2023 school year. Feel free to get in touch with me on social media.