This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Looking to publish your stories? Can’t decide between Webnovel and Wattpad? Hopefully this article will make your decision easier! As an author published on both Webnovel and Wattpad, I have gathered contrasts and comparisons between the two publishing websites to help beginning writers in their endeavors to be self-published online.

Without further ado, let’s get into it!

#1 – Format and Editing

Wattpad and Webnovel have very different formatting and editing tools available to writers. Stories on Wattpad are able to use italicization, underlining, and bolding as well as emojis and special characters. Webnovel does not allow italicization, underlining, or bolding of text and restricts the use of emojis and special characters to chapter and paragraph comments. In terms of formatting and editing your novel, Wattpad offers more options than Webnovel. Webnovel, does, however, offer the option to set a publishing timer. If you want to follow a specific publishing schedule to remain consistent and provide a trustworthy program to your readers, the publishing timer offered by Webnovel will certainly make it a lot easier to follow the schedule.

The average length of chapters and number of chapters also differs with each publisher. Popular stories on Wattpad often have a range of 40-80 chapters with 1,500-2,000 words per chapter. Popular novels on Webnovel have 100-300 chapters with 800-1,500 words per chapter. Not only is the formatting different, but the type of novels published is different as well. Wattpad certainly has a wider variety of genres, but Webnovel is currently expanding its range of genres. Before choosing your site, be sure to nail down whether your genre fits the publisher you want. When it comes to formatting and editing, each website has its cons and perks.

#2 – Writer Resources

Both Wattpad and Webnovel offer a variety of resources for their writers. Wattpad provides tips on how to engage an online audience and grow your fanbase as well as articles detailing how to sharpen your skills as a writer and adjust to the format of Wattpad. There are also several successful Wattpad authors who publish entire books on how they found success and who wish to help up-and-coming writers. As for Webnovel, writer resources are offered directly on your creator’s page Inkstone. Content Editor Live Support is located in your Inkstone and is your personal helpdesk. There is also a Book of Authors that lays out the tips to creating a successful story on Webnovel. Webnovel also has a forum where writers can go and seek help, while Wattpad disabled its forum and communities around 2018. Both sites offer ample resources to their writers, and each is working to make its resources even better.

#3 – Audience and Relationships with Fellow Writers

The audience you want to reach is a major factor in deciding which publisher is right for you. One of my books has been on Wattpad for three months now and only has 400 views with 26k words published. I published it on Webnovel, and it garnered over 3k views in one week with only 7k words. The difference: audience. My book was more popular on Webnovel as the audience was different. I know the algorithm plays a crucial role as well, but I feel it is easier to keep your book in Webnovel’s algorithm than Wattpad’s algorithm. Consider what audience you want to reach as you make your decision.

Building relationships with fellow writers, in my opinion, is crucial if you want to grow in your ability as a writer. Wattpad certainly makes it easier to engage with other writers in-app even though it disabled its communities and forum. Writers build meaningful relationships with others and improve as a result as well as promote their books. There are small review shops created by bands of writers where you can submit your story and have it reviewed as well as find a means of support. With that being said, Webnovel has a discord every writer can join. The discord is always active, and help is always available. The discord and forum on Webnovel are extremely helpful for beginning writers looking for a place with support. Interaction between writers in-app, however, is next to none. When you are on the app or website, you are practically by yourself unless you have grown your reading base. This differs from Wattpad. As with every matter, each publisher has its perks and cons.

#4 – Competitions and Opportunities

Both sites give ample opportunities and competitions. Writing competitions where you can submit your work and be ranked against all the other writers in the same competitions are held often on both Wattpad and Webnovel. Wattpad does hold the Wattys each year where every author can submit their book and has a chance of becoming discovered. Both Wattpad and Webnovel provide several competitions and opportunities for up-and-coming writers. There are some cons and perks of the publishing sites Wattpad and Webnovel.

I hope this information aids you in choosing where you would like to publish your book. Don’t forget that publishing on both is also an option 😉 Thanks for reading. Have a great day and good luck on your writing endeavors!

Passionate about writing, photography, and travel and am currently studying architecture at Texas A&M University.