Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

Want to Know What’s Happening in House of the Dragon, but don’t Want to Watch? I got you.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Obviously, spoilers ahead for the first 6 episodes of House of the Dragon.

Firstly, I want to let you know that it’s okay to not want to watch House of the Dragon. Am I judging you? Maybe. But don’t worry about that. I want to make sure you are part of the conversation, and understand what’s going on, when your friends and family talk about it. This story takes place 172 years before the events of Game of Thrones. While the Game of Thrones saga is called A Song of Ice and Fire, the House of the Dragon saga is called Dance of the Dragons.

Let’s meet some of our favorite dysfunctional families of Westeros.

• Princess Rhaenyra Targaryan–She’s fierce, loyal, and a feminist icon. She is heir to the Iron Throne, and just wants to live her life how she wants to. She is the only daughter to King Viserys I and Aemma Arryn. In love with Daemon Targaryan and will admit it. We stan.
    • Currently married to Laenor Velaryon (brother to Laena) and has three sons with him; Jacaerys, Lucerys, and Joffery.
    • Laenor is gay, so I’m pretty sure him and Rhaenyra have never consumated their marriage.
    • The kids are technically the sons to Commander of the City Watch, Ser Harwin Strong (RIP In Peace), BUT, Laenor has said they are his own…for good reason as we don’t want any illegitimate kids running around out there.
  • Viserys I Targaryan — King of Westeros. Should not have been given the throne from Old King Jaehaerys (not important). The Iron Throne is trying to kill him. He doesn’t always make the best decisions. But, he does love his daughter Rhaenyra to the moon and back. We like him because he loves his daughter, and is pro-choice.
  • Alicent Hightower — Childhood BFF to Rhaenyra. Listens to her father, Otto Hightower, too much. Ends up becoming Queen and marries Viserys I after the death of his wife, Aemma. For obvious reasons, her friendship with Rhaenyra falls apart. We don’t like her since she REALLY wants her son to be the next King.
    • Has three children with Viserys: Aegon, Helena, and Aemond.
    • She’s the equivalent of a modern day woman being pro-patriarchy.
  • Otto Hightower — Hand of the King; Viserys’ right hand man. He has spies all around King’s Landing and is trying to climb the social ladder. He does a great job since he orchestrates the marriage of his daughter, Alicent, to King Viserys. We don’t like him.
  • Daemon Targaryan — Brother to King Viserys. Wants to be king. Tries to prove he’s powerful at every chance. He’s a dysfunctional mess but we love him for it. Whether he wants to admit it or not, he is in love with Rhaenyra. 10/10 would most likely date him if I could.
    • First wife, Rhea Royce (not important), died either in a horse riding accident or Daemon killed her. It’s currently up for debate.
    • Secone wife, Laena Velaryon (sister to Laenor), has two daughters: Rhaena and Baela.
      • Daemon and Laena are cousins and they currently live in the another country, Essos, with their daughters.
  • Ser Criston Cole– Rhaenyra’s sworn protector. Hot. Ruins everything for everyone because he’s in love with Rhaenyra and she won’t give up the throne to runaway with him. Still bitter 10 years later, and is now Alicent’s protector.

Now that we’ve met some important people, what’s been going on?

When Aemma-first wife to King Viserys-dies in childbirth, he names Rhaenyra heir to the throne. Since everyone hates women and there has never been a female named heir before, this is a big deal. Now that there is a male heir in Alicent and Visery’s first born son, Aegon, things are about to get interesting and bloody.

In the show, we are currently in the process of moving away from character building, and getting into the events that cause the Dance of the Dragons to occur. The Dance of the Dragons is a civil war between the Aegon Targaryan (green team–boo), son of Alicent and Viserys, and Rhaenyra Targaryan (black team–yay). Whoever wins, will get the Iron Throne. What we currently know is that the Hightower’s are on the Greens, while Daemon and the Velaryon’s are on the Blacks. In the coming episodes, we will see what other families join the their teams.

If you want to watch, the next episode will premiere on HBO on Sunday, October 2nd at 9 EST/ 8 CST.

Catie Martin is a Gemini, a cat lover, and originally from the great state of Maine. She currently works on campus as an Education Abroad Advisor, and is currently getting her Master's in Sport Management (TAMU '23). She loves all things sports and travel, and you can can count on her to inundate you wit pop culture news. She's been to over 25 countries, with Norway being her most visited at 10 times, and she's lived abroad in Madid, Spain and Bangkok, Thailand.