body images 2020 01 27 lizzie FRVhwfdOT9U unsplashjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2020 01 27 lizzie FRVhwfdOT9U unsplashjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Victorian Death Photography – A Dark and Creepy Practice, or a Meaningful Form of Commemoration and Comfort?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

In the 1830s, the custom of commemorating the life and death of a loved one through post mortem photography started to take form. It only became more popular in the 1850s when photography, in general, became more affordable through technological advances and new methods. Before this, only wealthier families could afford this service – by the 1850s, death photography was common for middle-class families as well. Not only was this practice popular in England, but also in Australia. Death photography has even made its way into the media through blockbuster movies such as “The Others,” starring Nicole Kidman, and “The Haunting in Connecticut” with Martin Donovan. 

The victorian era was full of death. Whether due to a pandemic, such as measles and scarlet fever, or a simple anatomical issue that could be easily fixed using modern biomedical technology, death was everywhere. Death was commonly discussed and dealt with more casually (and less awkwardly) than in today’s first world society. Families often had many children in 19th century England, and it was common for children to die before the age of five. Many historical cemeteries are scattered with numerous graves of children whose lives sadly ended at a very young age. For these families, when a child or loved one died, that was the last opportunity for them to photograph the body to be remembered for years to come. Often, photos of someone did not even exist until after their death because having one’s picture taken wasn’t an everyday ordeal.  

Death photographers usually used one of two methods when photographing their subjects. The first method was making the person look like they were sleeping. Meanwhile, the second method attempted to make the dead appear to be alive and well. Metal frames were used to prop up their bodies, and pupils were often drawn in over their lifeless eyes once the photo was already developed. Because cameras utilized long exposure in the past, one can easily spot which person is dead in group photos. The image of the dead will appear sharper and clear because the living move (blink, breathe, etc.) periodically during the shot. 

As healthcare improved, so did infant mortality rate and life expectancy. Because of this and advancements in photography, post mortem photography popularity began to decline. People no longer died as young, and people’s relationship with death once again began to change. What was once a unique way to cope with grief and honor the dead is seen by today’s society as an odd practice with little to no sentimental value… and creepy enough to make its way into several horror movies.

Taylor is a geology and climate student at Texas A&M University, with a passion for reading and writing. She is a lover of animals, Seattle, art, all things vintage, and ketchup. When she isn't studying, playing basketball, gaming, or painting, she can be found eating chicken fries while watching a thriller or mystery film.