This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

It’s not easy brainstorming a great date idea or location. This challenge only becomes harder with the added pressure of Valentine’s Day. It doesn’t get any easier when you have to battle it out for the best date locations with the other 200,000 people that live in the Bryan-College Station area. 

Compared to the surrounding metropolitan cities that some of us Bryanites/College Stationites originally hail from, like Austin, Dallas, or Houston, it can be hard finding something fun to do and finding it before everyone else does on a thriving night like it will be come February 14th. 

So, instead of scrambling to find a place to take your date on Valentine’s Day this year, prepare early with these possible date ideas in the Bryan-College Station area (and, for the sake of your date and your feet in heels, take into account the advice noted):

Dinner for Two

There are insanely nice restaurants to dine at for a date in College Station (if you’ve got the budget). Some really great options include Veritas Wine & Bistro, Luigi’s Patio Ristorante, and Paolo’s Italian Kitchen. These restaurants also have specials going on during Valentine’s that consist of a full-course dining experience for a set price. You can get your Lady and the Tramp on with some pasta at these really great Italian restaurants, but be prepared to spend more than you would at dinner usually.

You can still have a great night at more affordable restaurants like Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Fish Daddy’s, or Napa Flats (my personal favorite).

Tip: Always make a reservation. This should be a rule for dates in general, but keep this rule in mind especially on a busy date night like Valentine’s. If they don’t take reservations, show up earlier than usual. Don’t make it harder on the restaurant staff.

Cinemark Movies 18 and XD

What isn’t there to love about leather recliners and discounts? At Cinemark, students receive a discount for their tickets if they show their student I.D. card. If you do want to “flash the cash” though, you can consider going to Star Cinema Grill, a dine-in movie experience, at Century Square. But, I mean, what are you? A functioning, thriving adult? Stick to the $5.14 ticket…

Tip: Be sure to bring your student I.D. Nothing is worse than spending $8 when you could have spent $5. That $3 could’ve bought you your cherry ICEE. Ouch.

Downtown Bryan

If you’ve never visited downtown Bryan, it’s time to either exit out of this article and our friendship or read on to be enlightened. Downtown Bryan is its own enclave of shops, restaurants, and well-kept hidden gems.

Shopping

You can walk around the area and visit the multitude of antique and gift shops. There’s a lot to see in them and most close early, so be sure to plan ahead if you want to take a peek inside any of these cool shops.

Dining

Restaurants to consider eating at are Mr. G’s for great pizza or Casa Rodriguez for delicious Mexican food. Of course, there are more upscale restaurants, like D’Vine Cuisine. They are hosting a Valentine’s event for $115 a person.

When you’re done eating, you can stop by The Chocolate Gallery for a quick sweet if you’re craving chocolate covered strawberries or cherries.

Drinking

When you’re done satisfying your sweet tooth, you can have a glass of wine or some beer at either Downtown Uncorked or Blackwater Draw Brewing Company. Both are great places to just sit down, relax, and conversate with your date. 

Finally, you can end your night at the night club Halo. They don’t have any Valentine’s events scheduled yet, but with good luck, there may be some live entertainment on Valentine’s.

Tip: Don’t wear steep high heels for this date night plan in Bryan if you plan on walking long distances from spot to spot.

Arts & Crafts

U Paint-It!

U Paint-It is a paint-your-own pottery studio. From their inventory of ceramic pieces and painting tools, you can create your own masterpiece with your date and even take it home once the staff at U Paint-It glazes and fires it for you. For Valentine’s Day, they are having a special event: Sweetheart Night. There are two-hour sessions at either 6 P.M. or 8 P.M. for $10 a person plus the cost of your chosen pottery piece. They will have refreshments and a souvenir photo option.

Tip: They do require a $20 non-refundable deposit at the time of your reservation since space will be limited. Call 979-695-1500 to reserve your spot and make this date your best one yet!

Painting with a Twist

At Painting with a Twist, you can paint a romantic scenery with your date on Valentine’s Day while relaxing with a few drinks. Try not to get wine drunk. Or do. Do you.

There are two session options for this day: “Love Ripples Set” and “Love Potion.” Both sessions are from 7-9 P.M. and are $35 per individual.

Tip: It’s B.Y.O.B. for 21+, so make sure to bring your own beverages and some kind of identification. A reservation is required, and you can make one for either session on February 14th on their website. Arrive 20 minutes early.

Northgate

You all knew this one was coming. It has to be mentioned if not for any other reason than ~tradition~.

Honestly, you can’t go wrong here. You probably have your usual Northgate routine, and there’s nothing wrong with taking your date through your own personal Northgate experience. My motto is, “If they can’t handle you at your worst, then maybe you really are the worst.”

But, you won’t even remember after that fifth Chimy’s margarita, will you? No.

Anyways, Valentine’s falls on a Thursday this year, so there will be Happy Hour specials and Girl’s Night Out specials.

Even more than bars, Northgate has great food, so be sure to stop by the Dixie Chicken and grab a burger if you just want a more relaxed night with your date surrounded by nightlife.

Tip: Don’t throw up in front of your date.

Celebrate at Home

You can always just celebrate at home with a night in. Cook a special dinner, set some candles, start some music, and pop in a movie on Netflix later. Set up a tent in your backyard or your room. Have an indoor picnic. Whatever comes to mind, do it. This can be even more intimate than a night out, and it gives you a chance to be creative. Martha Stewart, move out of the way.

Tip: Prepare with whatever items you need for however you plan to celebrate ahead of time. Even though it’s an “at home” date, it’s still a date. Put some effort in it!

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.