This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Although I’ve only just started my second semester as a sophomore, I’ve found myself experiencing something of a “mid-college crisis.” (Definitely not an ideal way to start off the new year.)

They’re those questions that swarm endlessly, that agitate me late into the night and leave me spaced out during the day.  Am I able to do this? What if it doesn’t work out? It’s the subtle self-deprecation, fear of rejection, and constant stress that leave me at a crossroads. Sometimes, it’s just the slight unease I feel at the fact that I’m getting older and that the choices I make now are critical to where I’ll be in the next decade.

As someone who has aspired to go to professional school for some time, I’ve always held myself to a certain standard, with a set of criteria to meet and goals to accomplish all before I run out of time. But that’s just it. Who gets to say when time runs out? 

I recently had time to reflect on the timeline I’ve crafted for myself. What if I take a step back? What if I just take it as it comes?  Obviously, it’s important to have a plan for the future, but what’s a plan devoid of passion or one that leaves no room for mistakes? With each new step I take, I’ve begun to ask myself, why is this important to me? Why does this get me up in the morning?

There are undoubtedly going to be obstacles, but who wants to look back and regret the chances they didn’t take or the hobbies they never pursued along the way? Not me.

Here’s to not rushing the process and wholeheartedly “enjoying the journey.”

Sarayu Malireddy is a writer for the Her Campus chapter of Texas A&M University. In addition to reviewing books, film, and other entertainment, she dedicates the majority of her pieces to detailing personal and academic experiences. She looks forward to using her writing to capture often-overlooked stories and to highlight marginalized voices within her campus network and local community. Outside of her experience with Her Campus, Sarayu serves as a leading officer of a community service organization and volunteers as a crisis counselor with Crisis Text Line. An avid wellness advocate, she recently joined Mental Health Collaborative, a nonprofit, to help with marketing and outreach in efforts to destigmatize and improve access to essential mental health care. She has also conducted research in various scientific disciplines, and after receiving a Bachelor of Science in Genetics from TAMU, Sarayu hopes to continue this passion and contribute to advancements in the field of medicine both in professional school and beyond. When she's not browsing for thrillers and 90s rom-coms on Netflix with her roommates, she's probably downing green tea or espresso shots or trying to make the perfect omelet. She adores blasting classical music during almost any solo car ride and is always ready for a quick game of table tennis... or normal tennis.