Wellness > Mental Health

Things I Do Daily To Prioritize My Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Start each day with a grateful heart. Something my mom constantly told me growing up, I didn’t recognize the significance of this statement fully until I was living on my own. I am a psychology major at Texas A&M University and have always had a passion for mental health awareness. While life can be exciting and busy, it is also important to check in with yourself and prioritize mental health to the same extent as physical health, or even homework. 

During the pandemic especially, I can only imagine the cumulative effects on society’s mental health. Class format shifted, social calendars were altered, and routines and daily life changed. Because of so many things being out of my control, I chose to fully prioritize my habits and mental health. 

The first and frequently forgotten task that is an integral part of my daily routine is making my bed, as it is something that starts your day by accomplishing something. I try to always keep my space clean and clutterless, before trying to get work done.

Another important part of my daily routine is my eating habits. I know that when I eat better and consistently throughout the day, I feel better and more energized. Keeping this in mind, balance and moderation can be key. Focusing on the things that make you happy and feel like your best are the things that are important. For me, sometimes a trip to Starbucks is enough to start my day off to a good start. 

Affirmations are also an integral part of my day, if I need extra encouragement or self love, for example. Three years ago, I traveled to Kenya alongside my mom’s non-profit, Give Amore. While in Kenya, amongst countless other lessons I learned, I witnessed gratitude and joy like I had never experienced before. I was greeted with kindness everywhere we went, and was reminded of both privilege and the importance of experiencing different cultures. My time in Kenya is something that I think of daily and has influenced my outlook on life. My affirmations reflect these lessons I learned: 

1. Your words matter. Your contributions matter. Your voice matters. Your creativity matters. You are so important. 
2. Self-compassion goes a long way. 
3. Love others and practice self love. 

My affirmations, or simply daily reminders, make me consciously think about my decisions and thoughts throughout the day and are yet another way to include something positive in the morning. 

Lastly, make time for things that make you happy. Mental health is so important. Allow yourself time to prioritize your mental health, or surround yourself with people who are encouraging and motivated. Whether it’s a pumpkin cream cold brew from Starbucks, buying a new candle, doing a skincare routine, cleaning up your space, doing yoga, watching The Bachelor with friends, or anything else, spending time doing things that bring you joy in this crazy busy, overwhelming world should be prioritized. 

Howdy! I'm a junior psychology major at Texas A&M (WHOOP!) from Dripping Springs, Texas! I have a passion for reading, writing, Kenya, traveling, mental health, and coffee!