Ten Things They Never Told You Would Happen When You’re 20

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

For a full reading experience play “Twenty Years” by Bad Suns as you read this.

1. Acne is still a thing.

If you struggled with acne as a teenager, apparently, you still get it. No, I’m not talking about those teenage hormonal pimples everyone gets. I’m talking about actually getting diagnosed with acne by a dermatologist. There was always this stupid idea thrown around in society that once you got through puberty your skin would clear up… NOPE. If you were diagnosed with acne by a professional, guess what?! That doesn’t really clear up until 25, according to my dermatologist! Hooray! 

2. Middle school girls from your hometown are really good at Instagram.

Whether it’s a girl you babysat that followed you on Insta, a friend’s younger sister, or a kid from your church youth group, you’ve started to realize that her Instagram feed is honestly… pretty nice. No weird border pics, duck lips, or wannabe Tumblr aesthetic. These 13-year-olds are out here doing professional photoshoots and look so cute. I’m amazed.

3. The inevitable effects of aging hit you.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve been going through a real Blanche from A Streetcar Named Desire moment. Sure, I’m still “so young” and I have “the rest of my life” ahead of me, but as a natural platinum blonde who has noticed her hair is darkening, I’m TERRIFIED. It’s the small things that make you realize how quickly life passes us by.

4. Your viewpoints on the future might start to change.

I used to be very adamant on never having children or “settling down.” I still support women’s choices to be those career go-getters, a stay-at-home mom, or somewhere in between, regardless of my choices! I’ve started to notice that sometimes I see cute families, and I’m like “hmmmm… interesting.” I think it’s the hormones. 

5. Those strong female characters you looked up to are inherently flawed.

I’m talking to you Katniss Everdeen. I used to love YA fiction, and while I still do, I feel I’ve gotten much pickier. A lot of these characters I used to love just aren’t as cool as they used to be. 

6. You could sign a lease on an apartment.

When I was 17, I had no idea I would be signing a lease on an apartment in college. Part of it was just the naivete of not knowing where I was going to live in college, and part of it was not understanding how the housing application actually works. I can’t wait to have a big girl apartment next year. 

7. You cook raw chicken by yourself and don’t catch salmonella.

Maybe some of you are the next Gordon Ramsay, but for me, cooking raw meat is a terrifying adult thing that I had not accomplished until my second year of college. In case you were worried, I did not get salmonella and my chicken was delicious. This is honestly a very niche experience and most of you have probably cooked raw meat before the ripe old age of 20, but for me, this was next level adulthood.

8. The Wii game console you got in third grade becomes cool again.

I have not touched my Wii in years, but I brought it to college. Now, I’m the life of the party because I have so many versions of Just Dance games with me. Who knew a simple video game could draw people so close and just as easily tear them apart?

9. People might refer to you as “ma’am.”

The first time I was called “ma’am,” I was visibly shocked. I remember the power it held and, also, the age I felt. I was checking out at a grocery store and my teenage cashier called me that. I understand they probably call every woman they see “ma’am” just because they were raised like that, but I was still very confused. It makes me feel a little matronly but also a little powerful at the same time. Look out world: this twenty-year-old is respected by the youth!

10. Short hair becomes a power move.

Growing up, my long hair defined me. It was such a trend to have this beautiful, long, wavy hair. While girls who have hair like that are definitely beautiful, I feel short hair has become much trendier for girls in their early twenties. A bunch of my friends have done the chop, including me, and we’re never looking back. When I had long hair, it made my face look so much younger. When people guess my age now, they actually get it right! While long hair is still so great for whoever can take care of it, I feel like a part of adulthood is letting go of your old “look,” and experimenting with new styles that made you uncomfortable in the past! It’s so liberating to do something I never saw myself doing, even if it’s as simple as a haircut.

Maybe you’re 20, and you can’t relate to any of these. Maybe you’re 19, and you relate to all of these. What matters is that nobody actually knows what it means to be an adult; we’re all just growing up and learning how to be better people. Hang in there, friends. Your whole life is ahead of you! 

Howdy! I am a Senior International Studies major on the Politics & Diplomacy track with a minor in Spanish. I write articles for readers to learn (and laugh) from my experiences, but also to connect with other college women at Texas A&M. I love to travel, write, paint, and spend time with friends!
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.