TAYLOR SWIFT SONGS TO LISTEN TO THIS VALENTINE’S DAY (A Series)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

I was walking throughout the campus the other day. It had been a very long week full of laboratory reports, chemistry homework, and math problems. The weather was so windy that it hurt my ears. Since I did not have my hat with me, I decided to put on my headphones as an attempt to block the violent air. I turned on my phone and open Spotify, knowing exactly what I was going to play. It is not a secret that one of the only things that can make days like that better is listening to my favorite singer, Taylor Swift. So, I clicked the shuffle button and let the magic happen. Suddenly, I forgot all about my surroundings, for the lyrics of every song had me completely captivated again. There were a lot of people walking next to me, and I thought of how amazing it would be if they could all listen to these beautiful and meaningful songs. And it was at that moment that the idea of making this series came to life. This series will consist of 7 articles, one for each Taylor Swift major album. In each article, I’ll present four of my favorite songs, explain their meaning, and how they fit situations that most of us have experienced or are experiencing. I truly hope it is of your liking, and I hope that by the end of the series we connect in a whole different way.

ENJOY….

TAYLOR SWIFT  

• This was Taylor Swift’s first album. All of its songs were in their vast majority written by Taylor based on her own experiences. Taylor Swift was only 16 years old when this album was released on October 24, 2006, opening the door to a new world full of opportunities, goals, and dreams.
  • Our Song
    • Can’t find a song that describes how that special person makes your heart beat at a speed faster than the light? Then “Our Song” is perfect for you. It talks about the little things that make your relationship so special, like talking very quietly over the phone so your parents don’t hear you, the way your loved one laughs, or how awkward the first date was. When all words fail to express the love you feel for your significant other, just “ask god if he can play [this song] again.”
    • Fun fact: Taylor purposely placed this song at the end of the album so that when people listen to the line I mentioned above, they would actually replay the entire record.
  • I’m Only Me When I’m With You
    • Isn’t it amazing when someone accepts you entirely? Your talents, your flaws, your mistakes, and achievements?  Well… this song describes how beautiful it is to find that safe place we all look for in the person we love. One where you can be your most authentic self and embrace everything that makes you YOU, including your weird tastes in movies, music, food, etc. One where if you feel like dancing or screaming or laughing or singing to your favorite song at the top of your lungs, you can do it without worrying about the cruelty of judgment. If you want to thank your lover for making you feel this way, for loving you unconditionally, and for accepting every part of you, then this song is for you.
  • Tim McGraw
    • This song is very special for many reasons; for one, it was Taylor’s first song to play on the radio. It, like all her songs, was written by her in its entirety. Tim McGraw talks about the aftermath of a breakup, when the pain is unbearable and those little things that you loved of that person, like “that little black dress,” become a constant reminder of their absence. In her case, she mentions that whenever her significant other thinks about Tim McGraw, he’ll think of her. This is because Tim McGraw has always been Taylor Swift’s favorite singer.
    • Fun fact: Taylor Swift actually recorded a song with Tim McGraw titled Highway Don’t Care, thus accomplishing one of her lifelong dreams.
  • Tied Together With a Smile
    • Valentine’s day is not only about love and relationships but also about friendship. This song is one of my favorites, but *warning* it can make you cry an OCEAN. In this song, Taylor Swift talks to a friend, who, heartbreakingly, is dealing with depression and low self-esteem. She describes how her friend tries to keep herself together to prevent others from discovering her true feelings. Swift repeatedly encourages her loved one to “hold on,” emphasizing that it is ok to be vulnerable and ask others for help when in need of it. She also makes sure to remind them of how precious they are, even if they “are the only ones who [do not] see their beauty.” This song is very emotional, indeed, but also very powerful. If you or a friend is experiencing depression, please know that you are absolutely beautiful, special, and unique and that this world is a better place because people like you are in it. Also, do not forget that there are plenty of people willing to listen to you and help you. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. YOU ARE LOVED. YOU ARE SPECIAL.

This concludes the first article of this series. I truly hope you enjoy reading about and listening to these songs. If you did, you can’t miss the next article; I’ll be talking about my favorite songs from the album Fearless.

I wish you all a Valentine’s Day full of love, friendship, and happiness.

Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner gif
Giphy

Hello, My name is Brenda. I am a senior student at Texas A&M, majoring in Biomedical Sciences and minoring in Spanish. I have an enormous passion for reading and writing. My favorite books are Pride and Prejudice and Wuthering Heights. I enjoy practicing playing the piano and singing, for I believe music feeds the soul. I consider myself to be the biggest Disney Fan. My favorite movie of all time is Beauty and the Beast, and I dream of becoming a dentist one day.