Career > Money

Discounts Available For a TAMU Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Bills in college start to rack up quickly after tuition, food, housing, textbooks, and other miscellaneous expenses. Luckily, there are a lot of really good ways to save money as a college student thanks to student discounts! In addition, Texas A&M offers so many free resources so you don’t have to break the bank. 

Star Cinema Grill located in Century Square has discounted movie tickets when you show a student ID. As an added bonus, the theater is walking distance from campus which means you can watch new movies easily for a discounted price. Relaxing on their comfy couches with a Dr. Pepper float is my favorite way to watch movies! 

Another great alternative that comes at no cost at all for students is watching movies on campus hosted by MSC Aggie Cinema! They have around 6 screenings per semester that are completely free and sometimes even have popcorn! All the showtimes and locations can be found on the MSC Aggie Cinema website. You can also watch hundreds of movies and TVs on demand on aggiecinema.tamu.edu as long as you’re connected to campus wifi. This is especially helpful for when I’m taking a break from a late-night study sesh at Evans. 

And for those who live off campus, the Annex has a video library with an extensive collection of movies and TV shows available to check out for free. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, the library will even order it at no cost and let you rent it once it arrives. Who needs a Hulu subscription now?

The libraries also offer free equipment rentals including chargers, calculators, laptops, cameras, video equipment, and so much more! Chances are, if you’re in need of technology equipment, there’s a high chance you can rent it from the libraries. Their website, which can be found here, includes what kind of equipment you can rent and where to check it out from.

Probably one of my favorite deals of all time is the Piada student discount which includes any entree and a large drink for $8 from 2pm – 5pm Monday through Sunday and all day on Wednesdays! I was absolutely obsessed with Piada my freshman year. The location is just so close to campus which is super convenient! But the amount of money I was spending for one bowl of pasta was kind of ridiculous. Once I learned about the student discount, my love for Piada has never been stronger. 

Last but not least, if you’re looking for access to free or discounted software such as SolidWorks, Tecplot, Matlab, Microsoft 365, Canvas GFX and more, you can log into software.tamu.edu to download and use any of these. 

Vinathi Golkonda is the Secretary at the Her Campus TAMU chapter. She manages member information and keeps chapter members informed about upcoming events and reminders. Her writing mainly covers her experiences in college and events happening around campus. Outside of Her Campus, Vinathi serves as the Executive Director of Operations for the Texas A&M Student Senate where she manages records and curates content for its social media platforms. Vinathi is currently a sophomore at Texas A&M University majoring in Electrical Engineering and minoring in Mathematics and Computer Science. Aside from writing, her hobbies include playing piano, listening to music, doing henna, and hiking. She has visited over 20 National Parks and Monuments over the past 11 years and loves nature. Vinathi thoroughly enjoys watching reality television shows, especially Love is Blind and Indian Matchmaking on Netflix.