Rusty Thompson | Resting In Paradise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Most people at Texas A&M University have heard of the good Ol’ Ag Rusty. He was one of the most amazing people on the planet and cared more about Aggies than anyone I have ever met before in my life. He was not just another person working in Koldus, but he was the life of the building as the director of student activities. Having worked at Texas A&M for over 20 years, everyone knew who he was and was so thankful they had an opportunity to meet him, even if only just for a second. Rusty cared for everyone like they were his own children and he made you feel special when talking to him. Rusty Thompson was my Fish Camp namesake and I feel privileged to have been able to know such an incredible person. He and his family were there every single day, doing the chants with us, performing skits with the counselors, and getting all of us freshman pumped and ready to start the rest of our lives as Aggies. Rusty was the kind of person you meet once in a lifetime as you realize how much they not only impact you but everyone. Rusty Thompson was truly one of a kind.

This past week, Rusty suffered a massive heart attack that put him on life support. His leg had to be amputated in an attempt to save him as the heart attack left him in critical condition. When word got out that Rusty had been hospitalized, the Aggie family came together and rallied behind him. We all supported him and prayed for him and his family. Seeing the Aggie family come together in a time like this to support someone who had always been there for anyone who needed it was remarkable. Rusty brought so many people together that had never met before, and I know he is looking down proud of us. His daughter Brenna Thompson, a senior here at Texas A&M, had been keeping everyone updated and had been sharing all of the cards and letters that fellow Aggies had sent to the Thompson family. Please keep them in your prayers as they go through this tremendously difficult time. 

Rusty Thompson joined our savior up in Heaven tonight, March 12, 2016. He will be missed, and time spent with him will be cherished. Rusty, you are in our hearts forever and always, and I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to know you. Gone, but never forgotten.

“Softly call the muster.” Here. 

Nicole Ploetz is a Junior Communication and Political Science double major at Texas A&M University and is a writer for TAMU HerCampus! She has a passion for writing, reading, dancing, painting, traveling the world, and playing golf. She loves all things outdoors, is a shopaholic, and loves her sorority. She also loves giving back to the community and hopes to one day pursue her dreams as an Entertainment Lawyer, aka be the next Elle Woods. Nicole aspires to live in Los Angeles-California, New York-New York, or Nashville-Tennessee with her best friends and rule the city. She is obsessed with sushi and her future husband is Dylan O'Brien (he just doesn't know it yet).