Wellness

Prevent the Mid-Semester Burnout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

It is almost November, and if you are in school, you know how slow this part of the year goes by. By this time, we have been in school for about four months with little to no breaks. It is super easy to get burnt out, especially with the holidays ahead. Unfortunately, this is also the time students have a full plate with football games, projects, and even final exams. Although I wish I could just give us a mini-break, here are some tips to prevent that burnout and make the most of what is left of the semester.

1. Go Outside

Even if it is just for ten minutes, now that the weather is getting cooler, it can be nice to just sit outside and reflect. Put on some good music, journal, and just clear your mind so that you have a breath of fresh air before going back to work.

2. Listen to a Good Podcast

Podcasts can be great for clearing your mind and getting a good 90-minute distraction. There are so many to choose from, so there is sure to be one that has to do with something going on in your life.

3. Call Home

Sometimes it is nice to just hear your friends’ or family’s voices. I know for myself, I have been calling my mom more than ever now that I feel so tired and unmotivated. It can help to know you have people thinking of you.

4. Look for Dream Jobs

You are clearly in school for a reason. Look at jobs in cities you would want to live in and give yourself a reason to be more motivated. Maybe you will be able to find that spark again.

5. Make time for Yourself

The most important thing you can do is make time for yourself. It is okay to take a mental health day every once in a while. If you physically cannot focus on an assignment, put the computer down and take a time-out. Take a bath, watch a movie, go eat all your favorite foods- that assignment will be there when you are finished.

It is crucial to make sure your mental health is okay. Remember, you are not alone, and there is always someone to talk to. Take care of yourself, and we will get through this semester together.

Houston, Texas music enthusiast