Mercury Retrograde – What You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Get ready for a text from your toxic ex, because mercury retrograde is upon us. On February 16th 2020, mercury will begin its backward appearing journey, resurfacing everything we’ve been trying to forget. I know we see this astrological event thrown around social media, but what exactly does it mean? Within the belief of astrology, mercury rules communication, intellect, and awareness. Mercury is; weekend trips, the workday commute, transportation, writing, coordination, and every which way we express ourselves. While Mercury is stationed RX (retrograde), all of the ways in which we communicate, and express ourselves, has the potential to become altered. Old thoughts, habits, and people are prone to reappear into our lives. While many are scared of the retrograde, I see it more as a time for planning and growing.

Throughout our winter retrograde, February 16th through March 9th, be weary of travel. Make sure your check engine light isn’t on, and if it is, go fix it. Once, during a mercury retrograde I had a tire pop while I was on the freeway. Another time, I got into a small fender bender. I pay close attention to my travel details in the retrograde season. Because this retrograde falls into the signs of Pisces and Aquarius, we will be hyper aware of our habits. This will be a great time for some mental spring cleaning. Potentially, there will be some revision of unconscious emotional patterns and ways of thinking. Signs with water energy, for example, Pisces, bring forth an emotional and sentient energy. At times, the energies Pisces bring forth are confused and delusional. Don’t let that scare you. Pisces are also the most spiritual, creative, and compassionate signs. When Mercury is stationed RX in the sign of Pisces, we will have the chance to heal an old wound or even restart our spiritual practices. Maybe we will bring a project back to life. On the same day that the retrograde begins Mars, the planet of action, enters the relentlessly hardworking sign of Capricorn. This is a perfect alignment to initiate the disciplinarian energy that is needed in order to get your life back on track. 

Finally, never sign a contract, get into a relationship, or start a new business venture while Mercury is stationed RX. It will more than likely backfire. RX is a time for planning and manifesting. Pick up a journal and rewrite your life. How can you improve yourself this retrograde? 

Hey I'm Sadie. You probably know more dogs with my name than people. I'm obsessed with Dutch Bros, Social Media, Videography, and sleeping. You can find me in the self help section of Barnes & Noble on Tuesdays from 5-7 P.M. Thanks and Gig-em! *thumbs up*