clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Member of the Month: Morgan Holmes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

This semester, Her Campus Texas A&M wants to recognize the staff members who go above and beyond for our chapter. For this month, we chose a member that is not only dedicated, but walks with integrity, grace, and self-assurance. Meet Morgan Holmes, a senior journalism major from Corpus Christi, Texas. Holmes also serves as the chapter’s marketing and publicity director.  Her Campus Texas A&M: How did you get word about how to join our chapter and how long have you been a member?

Morgan Holmes: In the fall of 2015, Sydney McDaniel (past member) explained what Her Campus was all about, so I decided to attend an information session for more details. So far I have been a member for one full year.

HC TAMU: How do you think you’ve improved as a writer from your time with Her Campus?

Holmes: My writing skills have progressed tremendously. When I joined, I was new to journalism and the Her Campus chapter here at Texas A&M welcomed me with open arms. I was able to start from the beginning and I have applied the AP style writing that I learn in class to my Her Campus articles.

HC TAMU: What are you preparing yourself to be once you graduate?

Holmes: After graduation, I want to write for a magazine or news desk that is focused on racial and social issues and the role they play in politics. I also want to keep my options open to marketing or public relations.

HC TAMU: What other opportunities do you feel have given you a boost in your career?

Holmes: I have had the opportunity to touch base with professionals in the entertainment business. I was able to be a part of and witness a live Buzzfeed fashion show. The media, fashion, and design was very advanced! HC TAMU: Do you wish to accomplish anything before you leave Texas A&M?

Holmes: I want to make sure I leave with a thankful heart and spend the rest of my days being mindful of the fact that not every woman gets to have the opportunity to graduate from college. 

HC TAMU: If you had your freshman-self standing right in front of you, what advice would you give her?

Holmes: I would tell her to not give a damn about anything but being a loving woman. Seriously, have more faith in Jesus.

Ruby Majano is an Agricultural Communiations and Journalism major at Texas A&M University. She loves music, poetry and story telling. Ruby aspires to be a print journalist and dreams of one day writing for the New York Times.