Member of the Month: Carlee Hebert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Our April Member of the Month is an HC rookie with a keen eye for storytelling. She’s also extremely humble, easy-going and hard-working. Meet Carlee Hebert, a freshman telecommunication media studies major at Texas A&M University. 

Photo Credit: Digismiles Photography

*Actual picture of Carlee in her natural habitat. Yes, she is in fact a mermaid.  

Her Campus Texas A&M: Carlee, you are one of our fresh faces on staff. Now that we are nearing the end of the semester, what has Her Campus taught you so far?

Hebert: Her Campus has taught me a lot about media writing. All of my jobs and internships so far have been in broadcast journalism, so it’s really nice to have a supportive group teaching me how to write for publication. 

HC TAMU: What challenges have you faced and how were you able to overcome them?

Hebert: I knew a few people coming to A&M, but I didn’t know anyone well enough to want to room with them, so I figured I would just do roommate matching and make new friends. Big mistake. Roommate matching made the first few weeks of college extremely stressful, but after talking with cops and moving properties, I’m finally living with some awesome roommates. 

HC TAMU: Aside from Her Campus, are you currently in any other student organizations? 

Hebert: Yes! I was inducted into the Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society this spring and I will be inducted into the National Society of Collegiate Scholars next semester. I’m a mentor in the International Student Mentor Association where I will get to know international students and help them get acclimated to life in America. I’m also a member of the Association of Cornerstone Students. 

Photo Credit: Greg & Larae Photography

Makeup: Hernan River, Styling: Amy Marlow

HC TAMU: What do you do for fun?

Hebert: I enjoy modeling. Earlier this month I attended Shutterfest, a huge photography convention/party, as a model. During which, I barely slept because when a shoot ends at 2 a.m. and the next one starts at 6 a.m., it’s easier to grab a coffee than a nap. I’ll be going to Lunacy—a similar event—in the fall as well. 

HC TAMU: Tell me something interesting about yourself.

Hebert: I’m probably one of the youngest students on campus right now. I graduated from high school a year early, which means I’m still 17. And yes, that also means my mom legally had to take me to the doctor when I got sick. One more month and I’ll be able to buy NyQuil on my own, take myself to the doctor, sign my own lease and never again have to ask: “Do you have to be 18 for this?”

HC TAMU: What are you passionate about?

Hebert: I’m passionate about telling people’s story, changing the world and traveling. If I could find a way to combine these into a career, I would have my dream job. 

HC TAMU: What’s on your college bucket list?

Hebert: Getting my Aggie ring, studying abroad, hanging out with Miss Reveille and studying in every coffee shop in Bryan and College Station.

HC TAMU: Have you been able to cross any of those things off your list so far?

Hebert: I think I’ve been to almost every coffee shop in town, so I’m pretty close to finishing that one. I’m currently planning my study abroad trip! Any advice on where to go in France would be greatly appreciated because I am incredibly indecisive. I’ll also be getting my Aggie ring next spring and I’m so excited! I haven’t gotten to hang out with Miss Rev yet, though. Once when I was on campus, I turned a corner, saw Miss Rev and had to do a double take. Then, like any good Aggie, I whipped out my phone and snapchatted a picture of the queen walking away. One day, I’ll hang out with the most beautiful dog on campus. 

HC TAMU: What is on your Spotify playlist?

Hebert: Ed Sheeran. All day. Every day.

HC TAMU: What are three words to describe you?

Hebert: Curious, Kind, Clever.

Rapid Fire Questions: What’s your favorite…

Place on-campus? MSC Flag Room (when someone is playing the piano)

Local coffeeshop? Sweet Eugene’s

Aggie Tradition? The 12th man

Complement you’ve received? Either “Your voice sounds so peaceful” from a girl in French tutoring or “You’re really good at telling stories” from a girl in my speech class.

Album? You’re never going to guess this one: Divide by Ed Sheeran

Movie? Beauty and the Beast

Show? I don’t watch a lot of TV so I don’t really have a favorite show.

Celebrity? Lisa Ling

Quote? “Be the person you needed when you were younger” – Ayesha Siddiqi

HC TAMU: And finally, where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Hebert: In ten years, I will have my dream job and I will be traveling from country to country filming documentaries that tell the stories of people’s lives to create change in our world. I will have a cute dog and I will have won Dancing with the Stars. The mirror ball trophy will be showcased in my tiny house, which is pulled by a bright red truck. I will be known by my brother’s kids as “Cool Aunt Carlee,” who buys the best presents and has exciting stories about “that one time I was in Italy.”

Ruby Majano is an Agricultural Communiations and Journalism major at Texas A&M University. She loves music, poetry and story telling. Ruby aspires to be a print journalist and dreams of one day writing for the New York Times.