Meet Shams Albayati ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

With the Trump administration looming over us, many Americans question the future of America. Will the next four years consist of protests against controversial bills? Will the next four years promote a plummet in the diversity that the United States thrives on? In response to the limiting of muslim immigrants from select countries as well as further questioning of legal green card holders, the students of Texas A&M University organized a protest walking throughout the university and finally congregating at the Memorial Student Center.

Chants such as “Love, not hate, makes America great” and “This is what democracy looks like” rang from the crowd in opposition of Trump’s muslim ban.

“My grandma was recently trying to come here,” sophomore Shams Albayati said.

In fact, Albayati was at the forefront of the war in Syria and participated in the protest in order to show her support for refugees entering the U.S.

“I was a refugee once 10 years ago and I just think that by coming here I have a lot of opportunities and I want [other refugees] to have the same opportunities as me,” Albayati said. “I’m from Iraq. During the war I moved to Syria and after Syria I came here. At first I was nervous. I was scared. [It was a] new country, new language, new people: everything was new, but then I got used to it and I just love it here.”

Albayati emanates hope and strength despite the hardship that was prevalent in her life.

“I was really young but I just remember that my family has been through alot and we had to stay home,” Albayati reflects. “Hearing guns and bombs became normal to the Iraqis during the war. You hear them every day. It was really horrible, like a war you see in movies. My dad made the right decision to come here.”

A concern that many who are against allowing refugees into the U.S. is that they are concerned that different groups would not be able to coexist. Albayati disagrees.  

“I’m a US citizen now and I am proud to say that. I am coming here to support the people that want to come here and have the same opportunity that I had. Here, education is everything and a lot of people over there want it. I just think that when you move here, you’re going to get used to it and I don’t want to go back because I already call this home. I call America my home.”

While embracing the American culture is important, Albayati takes extreme pride in her identity.

“As a hijabi I had to go through a lot with all the racist things that have been going on, especially [because] Trump is in office now. I know a lot of [hijabi] women get scared. There are a lot of racists out there [who] might do something to you. But this is who I am. [The hijab] represents me. I can’t take it off. I can’t take off my identity just because someone doesn’t want me [to wear it] or someone doesn’t respect religions,” Albayati said.

The beauty of America is that it is a haven for those who come from different walks of life to come together and celebrate their strengths. However, President Trump seems to encourage a different viewpoint. While claiming to not be racist, he discriminates against certain minority groups by installing hate and fear into the American people.

“I refuse to hate my neighbor,” protesters exclaim in the background as Albayati concludes, “Stick to who you are because people respect who you are and a lot of people will support you. [They] will have your back. Just be strong.”

Manu is a sophomore at Texas A&M University (Howdy!) pursuing a degree in business. She is also considering a minor in Netflix and possibly a couple of certificates in 'can't get out of bed', but who knows? Other than writing, she enjoys dancing and graphic design.