Meet Campus Celebrity: Aleenah Spencer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Meet Aleenah Spencer! Aleenah is a senior Veterinary Medicine major, graduating in December 2014. Although, she may be leaving Texas A&M very soon here, she has left her mark on this university and won’t soon be forgotten. Aleenah has touched many lives in her time here at Texas A&M not only through her wonderful, outgoing personality and positive vibes, but also through her poetry. Aleenah’s poetry is bold, empowering, and at times, humorous. She is unafraid to speak her mind and always tells it like it is. At 23 years old, Aleenah is a published poet with four major spoken word performances under her belt. You go girl! Read our Q&A to find out more about Aleenah. Also, Check out her published Chapbook, cleverly titled “Chapbook” here and also one of her recent performances, here.

HC: When did you start writing poetry?

AS: All my life, life is poetry. However, I truly started writing spoken word my freshman year of college.

HC: What inspired you to start writing poetry?

AS: A lot of us have a lot of problems and poetry is a great way to express them.

HC: What drove you to write your chapbook?

AS: People were asking for one and it’s something that was on my bucket list, so I figured why not!

HC: What is one poem out of your chapbook that everyone should read?

AS: Phoenix, it embodies who I am.

HC: How does it feel to be a published poet at such a young age?

AS: Really cool! I am self-published so anyone can do it but it’s still an awesome achievement.

HC: What is your absolute favorite memory from spoken word?

AS: My feature in Houston last week! I performed four poems and sold out of all of my chapbooks. It made me feel really special.

HC: Who is a poet you admire most?

AS: I don’t have one! I appreciate poets for their words, so I guess all poets are my favorite.

HC: What advice would you give to someone interested in starting spoken word poetry?

AS: Be you! Don’t try to be another poet, speak from your originality and be authentic.

Would You Rather?

HC: Would you rather forget who you are or forget who everyone else is?

AS: Forget who everyone else is! It is important to know who you are.

HC: Would you rather give bad advice or take bad advice?

AS: Take bad advice for sure! It is my decision and responsibility is I take bad advice, but I would feel bad giving out bad advice.

HC: Would you rather live without music or live without poetry?

AS: Live without Poetry! There is poetry in music. It’s like the best of both worlds.

HC: Would you rather publish your diary or make a movie based on your most embarrassing moment?

AS: Publish my diary because I already do that anyway through my spoken word. My poetry is loaded with TMI. (Too much information)

HC: Would you rather be able to speak to animals or speak all foreign languages?

AS: I would love to speak to animals. My major is Veterinary Medicine and it would make my job so much easier!

HC: Would you rather Hakuna Matata or YOLO?

AS: Yes!

My name is Alexis Emmou! I am a Senior Communication major, English minor at Texas A&M University. I love reading, writing, and all things entertainment. I aspire to be a television broadcaster. Thanks and Gig 'Em! :)