This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Being a college student and staying on top of all your responsibilities can very easily become overwhelming. In order to offset the feeling of not having enough time for everything I enjoy doing, I try to maximize my time as much as possible. It’s still a work in progress for me, but these tactics have had the biggest impact on my day.

Do Homework in between classes.

I often get to my classes early, leaving me with 10 – 15 minutes of scrolling through social media. In the moment, this doesn’t feel like I’m wasting much time, but adding up these little moments 2-3 times a day equals a good amount of homework getting done. As an English major, I usually have a reading or writing assignment to do. Therefore, by implementing this tip, I get that head start in reading or get to brainstorm a writing idea. While this time may seem minuscule, I am always grateful for getting ahead when I finally sit down to start my work after a long day.

limit screen time

I’m still working on this one, but limiting my screen time has brought me so many benefits. One obvious benefit of limiting screen time is having more time on my hands. I have also found that it gives my brain a break from constant stimulation. It’s really easy to automatically think maximizing your time means doing something at every possible moment of the day. However, that’s not what I mean at all, and in fact, that would probably leave me even more overwhelmed and burnt out. Having those moments where I’m not staring at a screen gives both my eyes and brain a well deserved break!

having a night routine

Even if my whole day is filled to the brim with things to do, I know that I at least have my night routine to myself. It doesn’t have to be super complicated to be effective. I usually play some music, brush my teeth, and wash my face. I also like to prepare what I will be wearing tomorrow, wash any last minute dishes, and put up my hair. I prefer to call my night routine a closing shift because it gets me in the groove of winding down. For the last 15-30 minutes before bed, I try to avoid any mindless scrolling on my phone. It’s not too much of a break from my phone, but I have noticed that I can fall asleep faster because of it. Therefore, it helps me get my 8 hours of sleep faster, and I don’t waste time tossing and turning in bed.

I try to follow these tips to the best of my abilities, but sometimes time does run away from me. I don’t beat myself up over it because I always have the next day to improve. I do know that implementing these strategies in my daily life have helped me feel more in control of my day. I can make time for not only school life but also for living!

Emily Velez is a member of the Writing and Editing Committee at the Her Campus at TAMU chapter. She writes about her experiences and anything that is on her mind. She tends to lean towards topics that discuss Texas A&M or being a college student, but you will also find articles that deal with entertainment. Emily makes several references in her articles to other things going on in her life, but she often references Taylor Swift or a lyric to her latest favorite song. Emily is a sophomore at Texas A&M, majoring in English with a minor in Professional Writing. She is in a women's organization and tries to be as involved on campus as she can be. Her plans for the future are to either become a technical writer, copywriter, or publisher. However, Emily wants to keep her doors open to any opportunities that arise. In her free time, Emily loves to read, write, and crochet. She recently completed a tote bag and has started on a new journey of trying amigurumi. She loves listening to Taylor Swift, and she knows many of her songs by heart. She also adores anything related to Snoopy, so you will often find her with some sort of Snoopy merchandise.