Let’s Eliminate the Community College Stigma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Growing up, I remember feeling the pressure to make outstanding grades and become a well-rounded, highly successful student. People in my community felt this was the only way to gain acceptance into a distinguished four-year university, and many looked down upon those who decided to attend a community college. While I won’t ignore the fact that several post-high school individuals enroll in community colleges to satisfy a parent’s wishes or simply because they have no other plans, I would like to focus on those who choose this path for alternative reasons. I believe we should outright reject the stigma that community colleges do not offer the same benefits as four-year universities, but first we should look at the root of this ideology.  

Unlike older and more established universities, the earliest community colleges date back to the start of the twentieth century. There was a need for low-cost and efficient education for the working class, as well as a transition for high school students wanting to advance their knowledge before attending four-year universities. The belief that this type of schooling paled in comparison to larger and more prestigious schools originally had some truth to it—but the administration at these higher-level institutions continued to advocate for the expansion of such colleges.

Fast forward to the present day. Standards for community colleges have increased tremendously. Most junior colleges require a master’s degree for its professors and have adapted to accommodate high school students as well as adult learners. Two-year colleges offer associate degrees varying in business, nursing and general studies (which I am proud to have!) and many other fields to give a wide range of knowledge and skills to the people of the community they serve. Despite these efforts, the stigma created at the emergence of community colleges still exists and, frankly, seems outdated, given the resources these schools provide to an ever-expanding demographic.

So how can we eliminate this stigma once and for all? First, I would admit that some specific courses that “transfer” from the two-year college level are simply not the equivalent of the four-year school. A prime example: Engineering Mathematics 1 at Texas A&M University does NOT compare to the generalized Calculus course you expect at a community college level, because the former requires memorization of concepts specific for that program (trust me when I say I speak from experience!). Additionally, it is impolite and at times offensive to assume people’s situations regarding their education. While attending community college, I met mothers working full time and taking a full college load to support themselves and their children. I met students in their early teenage years wanting to get a head start on school because their families could not afford a four-year university for them after high school. I even met PhDs who simply wanted to brush up on their knowledge of basic concepts they first learned decades ago. Community colleges accept intellectuals of all backgrounds an are inclusive in many outright ways four-year colleges are not.

Most importantly, junior colleges offer a positive environment for both the educator and the student. Almost all professors (there are always exceptions) at two-year colleges teach because they genuinely want to pass on their knowledge to those who genuinely want to learn. The combination of increasing college tuition and a widening disconnect observed in larger schools can be combatted with the experienced-based learning method community colleges are notorious for. This approach also promotes one-on-one interaction which can benefit students when they transfer to a four-year university.  

I only advocate for community colleges now because I once believed in this stigma that unfortunately exists. It only took me experiencing firsthand the benefits two-year colleges offer to change my opinion. Holding a degree from a community college distinguishes me from others who chose the conventional route and provided me with countless opportunities I would not have had access to at a four-year university. Only by having conversations about community colleges can we eventually eliminate the outdated negative connotation it bears.

Food for thought: If George Lucas, Steve Jobs and countless other amazingly successful individuals attended community colleges, why do they still get such a bad rap??

Kelby is currently studying Bioinformatics at Texas A&M University. When she isn't worrying over grades you can find her in a garden, playing her ukulele, or restocking her endless supply of coffee.