Life > Experiences

I’m a Disney Adult *kind of*, and that’s ok!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Growing up, I was your average Disney consumer. I watched Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, and all the other incredible Disney Channel series and movies. I loved Tangled and Princess and the Frog, but I never had posters on my walls of all my favorite characters. I went on a Disney Cruise when I was 9, but other than that I never even went to Disney World until I graduated high school. But little did I know that graduation trip would unlock a whole new world (YES PUN INTENDED!!).

My first trip to Disney World was the most amazing experience. Despite Hurricane Elsa blowing in right as we arrived (literally. “HURRICANE ELSA”. I’m not making this up, you can google it), my family and I made the best of it and still had the time of our lives. I am a firm believer that you truly get the full experience visiting a Disney park at an older age. I realize this is an unpopular opinion, but it’s one that I can unpack in a later article. 

After 4 days at Disney World and 1 stupendous day at Universal Studios (yes, heaven is a place on earth, and it’s the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal), I knew that Orlando, FL would always be a special place to me. 

I never knew to what extent, however, until I learned about the Disney College Program. On our last day of our vacation, a cast member at a popcorn stand had “Texas A&M University” on their nametag. I was curious about how they got the position of working at Disney World while still in college, especially because I was planning to start my freshman year at A&M that fall. They explained the DCP to me and urged me to apply, and from that point I never really looked back. 

I applied and got accepted to the Disney College Program in January 2022 and moved to Orlando in August 2022. I got the role of Parade Audience Control – a cast member who is in charge of supervising the safety of both live entertainment and the audience during Magic Kingdom parades and firework shows. Having the opportunity to work in Magic Kingdom was incredible, especially since my position was basically park-wide. I fell in love with the place that most people consider the “kid” park. I learned all about the lore of the lands, Walt’s dream behind each of them, and how the entirety of the Kingdom is built to where storytelling can come to life. 

Not only was my role the most fun experience, but I met two of my best friends during my DCP. The three of us were roommates during our programs, each of us working in Magic Kingdom. Not only did we have the best time visiting the parks and attractions together for whole 5 months, but knowing the three of us were all working at the same time all in the same park was a giant source of comfort for me. It felt like if anything went wrong, I knew I had people who were like big sisters to me who were just a quick hop, skip and a jump away.

During the DCP, I also had the opportunity to network and take classes in leadership, resume building and so much more. I met inspiring leaders who started just in the position that I found myself – a college kid looking for opportunities. 

I already loved Disney, but the DCP showed me just how special of a company it truly is. When people think “Disney”, they think of their favorite Pixar movie or a memory they’ve shared at one of the parks. But having that unique experience of actually working for a company that values their workers so much… it’s hard to not fall in love with that. Disney brings people together, encourages friendship and respect, and is so passionate about supporting their cast as they continue to move up in the company. 

I moved back to Texas in January 2023 after the conclusion of my DCP. Although it was hard work and a lot of time spent away from home, I think of and miss my College Program experience every day. Although one of my roomies is across the country, and the other across the world, I still feel like they are just right across the way in Tomorrowland or working the popcorn stand by Haunted Mansion. I ugly cry when I watch Disney movies now (and I mean all of them, not even the ones that are, like, meant to be sad). I encourage anyone who is interested to apply to the DCP, and I continue to keep in touch with friends and leaders that I met during my time in Orlando. 

There is a stigma attached to the term “Disney adult”. I totally understand the basis for it, and I honestly sometimes encourage its use. However, I feel like there are so many different ways in which one can embrace that identification. No, I don’t have every piece of merchandise, and, no, I don’t ALWAYS listen to Disney music in the car. I am a “Disney adult” because the company and its culture have played an intricate part in shaping me into the young adult I am today. It taught me valuable lessons, gave me once-in-a-lifetime experiences, and allowed me to gain irreplaceable relationships. Disney is so much more than what meets the eye, and I think those lucky few who have gotten the opportunity to explore what is below the surface are the only ones who can truly appreciate and understand its significance.

Hannah Morris is the Public Relations Executive for the Her Campus at Texas A&M University chapter. She oversees the PR committee to ensure that each member meets their requirements for merchandise designs and press releases every semester. She also leads her team in dispersing products and brand samples to the rest of the chapter. Beyond Her Campus, Hannah is a junior at Texas A&M University, majoring in Political Science with minors in Journalism and Psychology. She works as a Student Assistant in TV and Digital Content at KAMU Broadcasting, where she assists at production shoots while also writing and creating content for KAMU Marketing and Communications. Hannah is also a freelance proofreader, with a proofreading and editing certification from the Proofread Anywhere training program. In her free time, Hannah enjoys spending time with her dog, Emmylou. She loves to go on new adventures, read fun books, or attend concerts with friends. She is a music and film connoisseur, and hopes to one day work in PR in either industry.