I Can’t Go a Day Without Music and You Shouldn’t Either

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

I wake up every day and immediately play music. It is an essential part of my life. How did that
happen, you may ask? Well, last semester I was always on the go. The usual of getting to class,
keeping up with your organization, friends, etc. The rush of speeding through life to not miss out
on anything but my health stopped me before I could stop myself to catch a break. I fell ill and I
I had to go back home, forcing myself to rest. I thought it was only for a week, but when I was not recovering I was forced to take time off and eventually withdraw from the semester to focus on recovering my health.

The rush of going full speed at life to not miss out on anything burned me down and I was stuck
at home in bed all day. As I would spend my days laying in bed, I would get upset and wish I
was back on campus with my friends and other students enjoying college life. On a boring day
when I was stuck at home alone, I decided to play some music since the silence was freaking me
out. That’s when the habit of playing music began. I began making various playlists for my
shifted moods every day. Sometimes I would get happy that I was home resting; other times I
would get upset that I was not on campus.Yet through all those emotions, music could always
calm my emotions and uplift me to feel better. Music is an outlet to escape worries. The various
experiences one can feel through different songs are exhilarating.

After recovering and returning to campus, it is still a big part of my life. When everything seems
noisy and the thought of worrying about getting into law school, feeling behind, and comparing
myself to others creeps up, I put on my headphones and just listen to music. It is an outlet to
forget my worries and be at peace with myself. Songs remind me of what matters.
Playing at the right time when feeling down or up. Music is always there for me at my highest
and lowest points. I recommend that others take a break and listen to music. It allows one to
reflect and gather themselves. Explore the various genres of music on Spotify, Apple Music, etc.
Or just browse or create a playlist to study, chill, or do anything that sounds fitting for you. Take
a break for yourself and overall health and blast your favorite songs.

Linsy is an International Studies major at Texas A&M with a minor in Journalism and Spanish. In her free time, she enjoys writing, listening to music, and traveling.