This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Whether you are spending this upcoming Valentine’s Day out to dinner with a significant other or on the couch watching your favorite movie next to a box of pizza, you are spending it right. There’s always been a weird sort of pressure around this holiday that I’ve never fully understood. Not to come across as a hater of the day all about love, but it’s slightly uncanny that we don’t celebrate love with the same enthusiasm most days of the year. Buying flowers for someone you love, expressing your gratitude for them, or planning a special date should be a common occurrence. Instead, this has become more of a random date where people run to their local HEB last minute to find any flowers left because it’s what they think their significant other will expect on this one day out of the year. 

At times, it feels as if the day we have universally dedicated to spreading love is the one day out of the year I have come to loathe the most. I don’t know who made this day strictly about a romantic type of love. I think there are many underrated ways to spread a little extra love and kindness. This Valentine’s can also be a day to spread a little extra self-love. Here are four ways I will treat myself this Valentine’s Day: 

1. Focusing on the important relationships I have in my life.

I am choosing to celebrate the friends and family that I love this Valentine’s Day. A fun idea to accomplish this is hosting a Galentine’s themed event; friend dates are just as valid and essential as regular date nights. 

1. Cooking myself a nice dinner and watching a movie.

As great and valid as the frozen pizza that has been in my freezer since the beginning of last semester is, it just won’t do. I find this day is a great excuse to cook myself a favorite dish that I have been craving. Or to go out and treat myself to something I don’t usually have the time to enjoy. With the semester coming into full swing, as a college student, even getting three meals in a day can sometimes be super challenging.

1. Starting something new for myself.

If you have yet to be as consistent with those New Year’s resolutions as you had hoped you would have been, take this day as an opportunity to get back into it! I will take this day as a restart for the goals I have set for myself this year. And you can too. Whether that’s signing up for that workout class you’ve been putting off or reading a new book that’s been sitting on your shelf.

1. Creating a playlist full of my favorite single-era hits. 

Some of my favorite songs from my personal playlist are “I Can Buy Myself Flowers” by Miley Cyrus, “Happier Than Ever” by Billie Elish, “Best Thing I Never Had” by Beyonce, “Bejeweled” by Taylor Swift, “Successful” by Ariana Grande, “I Did Something Bad” by Taylor Swift, “Team” by Lorde, “Ain’t It Fun” by Paramore, and “Good as Hell” by queen Lizzo. To have an even better time with my new perfectly crafted playlist, I will put it on a speaker or in my headphones while I dance around my room like I’m in a dramatic 2000s music video. 

Hannah Hubbard is a Junior communications major at Texas A&M from Angleton, Texas. Reading and writing have always been a big part of her life, which was a leading factor in why she joined Her Campus during her freshman year! She is a second-year member who is a part of the events committee. In the events committee, she organizes social events for members. Hannah has also been a part of the writing and editing committee and has written thirteen articles. Beyond Her Campus, Hannah Is extremely focused on academics. She is a part of the pre-law Society at Texas A&M and hopes to use the organization's opportunities to pursue her future career. Hannah hopes to go to Law school after graduating from Texas A&M to pursue a career in public policy or something similar. She also hopes to be able to publish a book and still incorporate reading and writing into her life for fun. In her free time, Hannah enjoys listening to music, reading, karaoke, drinking matcha, and hanging out with her friends and family. Hannah loves animals and has five dogs, twenty cows, two donkeys, and a cat back home. Her comfort book is “Better Than The Movies” by Lynn Painter, and she recommends it to any fellow avid romance book reader. Hannah also enjoys traveling and hopes to experience more parts of the world one day.