This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Think back to 2012-2014. The days of Tumblr, leggings with flannels, and of course– y/n. Now, if you do not know what y/n means, you are probably better off just not reading the rest of this article because you might be confused. Or keep on reading, and you may find a new way to pass the time.

Everyone knows what Wattpad is, and if you don’t, consider yourself lucky. Do you know how much time I have spent just staring at my phone reading? But that, exactly, is what Wattpad is for, reading. Most people think of fanfics as the same ones that were around almost ten years ago. Those about getting kidnapped by One Direction or being sold to whichever band you are into, but I am so happy to say it is much more than that.

Wattpad is a place I grew up on, and like many of the authors, I am now much older than I was when I first started reading. You can tell that in many of the authors’ writing. Sure, we had After when we were younger, but now I can think of at least five other titles that would put that book to shame.

Long gone are the days of getting sold to One Direction. Now, authors include critical aspects to life such as (TW) sexual assault, bi-sexual relationships, and so much more. These are now stories that -although Harry may be the face of the book- don’t have anything to do with Harry Styles himself.

Duplicity is a fanfic that is currently still updating and has over 66 million reads. So while people still look at Wattpad as a place for fangirls to go read about whoever they may choose, it is also a place where authors can get their work out there and be noticed by a ton of people.

Many authors have had their books published from doing so well on Wattpad and have made money to help them get through school. It is also a place for people to go and just escape reality for a little bit. I know for me, when I read a book, I dive into the characters’ life and forget the world around me exists for a blissful moment.

So, if there is anything you get from this article, it is this: Wattpad still exists, and it is even greater than it was in 2012. From stories like Stall, Devils Due, Duplicity, and many more, give it a chance. Reading makes me happy, and you may just find your new favorite way to pass the time.

Houston, Texas music enthusiast