david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

HORROR FLICKS FOR HALLOWEEN (BEST OF THE 2010s)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

With the best holiday of the year just around the corner, there’s only one way to really prepare- curling up on the couch, eating candy, and watching scary movies. This past decade has been extremely lucrative for horror specifically, so why not familiarize yourself with the latest and greatest in the spookiest genre of motion picture? To make it even easier, I’ve gone ahead and made a list of the best horror movies you can find on Netflix; all you need is a subscription and maybe a blanket to hide under.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010)

Okay, so this one is more comedy than horror, but there’s no denying that this movie still deserves a spot on your Halloween binge list. Adding an inventive and genuinely amusing spin to some classically overdone scary movie tropes, Tucker and Dale vs Evil will be a refreshing break from all the slashers of this season.

The Conjuring (2013)

Based on a true story, The Conjuring brings back what we love most about old-school paranormal horror. Though the plot and most of the scare tactics are not original, they’re cleanly executed and usually very effective, resulting in an overall solid film that will definitely get you in the mood for Halloween.

It Follows (2014)

One of my favorite movies of all time, It Follows is a refreshingly original venture into supernatural horror. Our main character, Jay, contracts a curse that is passed from person to person through sexual intercourse. The rest of the film follows her increasingly suspenseful attempts to escape her seemingly inescapable death, which can only truly be avoided by having sex with a new victim. Worth a watch if you want to be seriously, bone-chillingly scared.

The Witch (2015)

The Witch (or The VVitch, maybe?) combines a unique setting and an outstanding cast of actors that bring to life the story of a family living in exile on the edge of an appropriately spooky forest in 1630’s New England. This film is a study on witchcraft and possession that will impress the history buff and horror fan alike, acting as a hypothetical prelude to the events of the Salem witch trials with the same hysteria and shocking violence

Train to Busan (2016)

Train to Busan takes place, as you might expect, on a train to Busan. The story revolves around a man named Seok-woo and his daughter Su-an, who board a bullet train across the country just as a zombie virus breaks out. Their fight for survival turns out to be a message of empathy and sacrifice, making this movie as deeply touching as it is grossly scary.

Raw (2017)

Following the story of a teenage vegetarian-turned-cannibal named Justine in her journey through vet school, Raw is equal parts body horror, feminist statement, and sexual awakening. If that sounds weird, it’s because it absolutely is, but it’s also a brilliant spin on the coming-of-age story that will leave you either trembling or passing out.

The Ritual (2018)

The Ritual follows four friends on a memorial trip across Sweden after their friend is tragically murdered. When one of their party is injured, their shortcut through the woods turns into a nightmarish battle against an ancient evil. A tribute to psychological horror, this film’s somewhat generic plot is saved by a truly chilling atmosphere, as well as its deep-cutting themes of guilt and betrayal.