This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Growing up, Aggies surrounded me in my family, and this affected my view of how my future would play out. When I was 13, I thought I wanted to go to TAMU because my mom went there and my family was pushing me that this would be the best decision I could make. Entering high school, I kept this belief and continued to pursue TAMU.

But closer to application season, I considered what it would be like to leave my home, or even my state, in pursuit of bigger things. I first started thinking this would be a good way to explore new places, and as much as I hate to say it now, get away from my family. The expectation that I would go to TAMU regardless of what else was out there made me resentful of Aggieland. I applied simply because I knew I would get in, and my family recommended I apply in case I wanted to stay home. I got in and didn’t pay much mind to the acceptance.

Going forward, I realized that TAMU would be the cheapest option, and as I went to more informationals and events, I changed my tune on how my life would play out if I stayed. I could keep working, see my parents, and be close by in case something went wrong. I also decided to live in a dorm, which gave me a little more comfort that my life would still be my own, and not the same as it was in high school.

Now, I can’t imagine my life another way. I’ve experienced so much here, and I feel like my life has changed for the better. I was still able to have the comfort of being close to my friends and family while exploring “college life”. While I’m still not a die-hard Aggie, I can appreciate what this campus has to offer.

Erin Haggerty is a sophomore forensic science major and psychology minor at TAMU. She is a returning member of Her Campus for the spring semester. Outside of Her Campus, she works full-time at a local BBQ restaurant, C&J Barbeque as a shift lead, as well as being a full-time student. She’s worked at C&J's for around 3 years and has moved up the ranks since her start. Her campus is her only published writing experience, as she enjoys writing about her life, College Station, and researching about anything! Outside of school, she enjoys hanging out with friends, playing with her dogs, and cooking. She’s found great passion in cooking and baking, mainly through creating her recipes. Through work, she also gets the opportunity to work tailgates for Aggie Football season, and though it's grueling, she enjoys the spirit!