This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

I don’t remember why, but I was browsing YouTube for something new to watch other than videogame and k-pop videos when I came across a video called “Cuties: The film that got Netflix blasted by the government.” I clicked on it, and I was just hooked on the creator, D’Angelo Wallace.

Wallace is a 22-year-old YouTube commentator from Texas who has two channels. His main channel is known for in-depth commentaries, investigations, and discussions about YouTube controversies he’s interested in. An example of this was the “Bye Sister” saga, where Wallace talked about all three Youtubers involved in this scandal: Jeffree StarShane Dawson, and Tati Westbrook. Wallace also covers random topics on his second channel. This channel is comprised of “bonus” videos where Wallace talks about whatever he wants as well in a maximum of 10 minutes.

Usually, I don’t get into videos like this. I just stick with k-pop stuff or watch let’s play videos of random gamers, but this guy’s delivery is very unique. His voice is very smooth and lulling, but also interesting to listen to. The delivery is good as well because he always goes straight to the point. He does not play around too much but adds tasteful jokes and light-hearted moments to his content. This might just be me, but he also sounds delightfully monotone in a lot of his videos, and that is really soothing to hear. I accidentally fell asleep to one of his videos because it sounded so good.

The other part I really love about his videos is the depth that he goes into when researching his topics. I also enjoy seeing his pure interest in them. Nearly every video on his channel starts off with “Hi and welcome back to me talking about whatever I want.” I personally believe that a person tries their best with things they love. Albeit he is a part of the commentary community where content is usually very reactionary, he is calculated and thinks out his videos well.

Another admirable trait about Wallace and his content is that he’s not afraid to apologize if he realizes that he messed up. There was one video where he called out a tattoo YouTuber Lauren from treacle tatts for making fun of a 15-year-old YouTuber’s choices to do her own tattoos. While questionable tattoo practices were being discussed here, Wallace was harsher than necessary with his commentary, thus he was aptly called out for it in his comment section. He apologized to Lauren and analyzed what he did wrong in a follow-up video. It was admirable because this shows that he’s self-aware and reads the comments. As he said in his follow-up video, “it would’ve been easy to delete the video and make a two-minute video following-up on it.” Instead, he chose to do the way to do the apology justice and make the analysis video. It’s rare to see a YouTuber be self-aware because a lot of the time, they are so engrossed in their sphere of influence to where they don’t care about the impact of their mistakes. I really admired this about Wallace.

Wallace’s videos are also a great background noise for doing school work. I am a unique person, and I have to have the TV on while studying because I like taking mini-breaks where I watch the screen. With Wallace’s videos, I don’t really find the need to take my eyes off of my work because they are like podcasts in a way. I can just play the videos on in the background and let them run while I’m doing my school work. It’s really nice to have this, and it helps me stay focused somehow. 

Currently, Wallace is on a break of sorts and not posting regularly. He honestly deserves it. Everyone should subscribe to his channels to get notified when he does start posting regularly again. In the meantime, watch all his videos to realize why I love this creator so much.

Sophia is a self-proclaimed potato on the TAMU campus. She is a third-year Materials Science and Engineering Ph.D. student that loves being in Her Campus. She loves it so much that she continued being a member into grad school. This is her second year writing with HC TAMU, but wrote for HC UFL from Fall 2017 - Spring 2020 when she was an undergrad at the University of Florida. Sophia loves writing about social justice topics, science, and loves showcasing her dog, Banshee (ig: @BansheeTheBeauty). Follow her on insta, twitter, and snapchat @divasophia97.