This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

As the new year rolled by, I started to thinking back on things that happened over the past year. Did I meet the goals that I had set forth at the beginning of the year? What could I have done better for the upcoming year? A lot happened last year but there were one thing I thought I could have done a better job of: enjoy the weather.

To be honest, I rarely went outside for most of the fall semester. I would complain that it’s rather too hot or too chilly or too crowded. Sometimes I simply decided it is easier to not go outside, even during a near-perfect, breezy, sunny day. Since it’s Texas and spring time soon, I decided that I might as well enjoy the weather before it’s blazin’ hot. And what better way is there than being productive and enjoying the weather by finding good study spots across Texas A&M Campus!

Here are some of my favorite outdoor study spots on campus and the pros and cons of each. But before I dive in, I would like to note that most of these studies spots are on the central campus (so unfortunately, not on west campus). Since I’m an engineering major, I ended up selecting study spots that are closer to the college of engineering, school of architecture, my classes, etc.

ZACHRY Green roof

The green roof is located on the fourth floor of the Zachry Engineering Building. It’s a green space with small trees and a wide variety of plants. They have different seating spots across entire green roof. I didn’t know the green roof in Zachry existed until sophomore year. In fact, when I glimpsed out the window during the middle of a lecture, I was quite startled to see a “tree” sticking out from the fourth floor.

Pros: The area is easily accessible, especially during “business hours” on a regular week day. You can easily access WiFi on the green roof and there are several areas where you can charge your devices. It’s very quiet and peaceful.

Cons: The space can get crowded quickly, especially during midterms and final exams. Expect lot of insects, especially as the temperature gets warmer. There isn’t good shelter from rain. Sometimes the charging ports might not work at all.

OUTDOOR BENCHES

Outside the Langford Architecture Building and hidden under the trees, there are benches and a table. In the center, there are two bronze sculptures: a boy walking a dog. During the springtime, the flowers bloom a deep shade of pink and the entire area is buzzing with life. On the other hand, during fall, the entire area is covered with a carpet of yellow and red leaves. Across campus, there are similar benches and seating areas hidden under trees (another good example is the one next to the Cyclotron Building is another bench).

Pros: (Langford) The area is easily accessible and it doesn’t get “crowded” throughout the day. Expect to see people passing by. (Including other outdoor benches) Depending on the location you are at, you can access WiFi or not.

Cons: (Langford) Expect a myriad of insects of all shapes and sizes (yes, wasps too…), especially during warmer temperatures. The area does not have a shelter from rain nor any charging ports.

AGGIE PARK

The Aggie park is a outdoor study, entertainment, and recreation space spanning over 20 acres. It is located across the street of the Kyle Field and the Memorial Student Center (MSC). It has variety of seating areas and other facilities. If you are looking for a quiet place to study, this is another area to check out. Moreover, I feel that during long study sessions (like studying for exams), this space offers the perfect environment for breaks and walking.

Pros: The area is easily accessible and relatively quiet. It includes a variety of seating arrangements. The space offers public Wi-Fi.

Cons: Most locations do not have charging ports. Since the space is accessible to everyone, you can expect to see different events and activities happening throughout the year. This means that the amphitheater and other public facilites would be in use.

E-Quad

The E-Quad (a.k.a the Engineering Quad) is an open green space in front of the Zachry Engineering Complex. The E-Quad has park-like seating spaces. My favorite are the free-formed wooden seats surrounding by trees. Since I’m a person who can’t sit still while studying, this seating spot give me the options to lay down, sit up, change postures ever so often, etc. while studying.

Pros: The space is easily accessible, and there is public Wi-Fi. Most locations have proper, functional charging ports. The space is right across the food trucks.

Cons: The space can get very noisy, especially during the weekdays and during business hours. The space has trees, but surprisingly they provide adequate shading only during certain times of the day. It can get easily crowded, around midterms & exam seasons.

Howdy! My name is Abhisri Dasari! I'm from Sugar Land, TX, and I'm an engineering major at A&M. I'm passionate about bringing awareness to immigrant issues, women's rights, and environmental crisis (ahem. Climate change). I love to explore something new and always up for a challenge (or an adventure).