‘He Named Me Malala’: A Review of the Power of Rhetoric

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

The power of speech is a tool only found within people of great experiences. To deliver a speech is not simply to stand at a podium and fill the void of the air with words. To deliver a speech is to push an agenda through eloquent thoughts, relatable anecdotes, and a clear, defined message.  Malala and Ziauddin Yousafzai successfully pushed their agenda to bring attention to the lack of girls in school through their speech-giving in the documentary, ‘He Named Me Malala.’

Perhaps the reason Malala and her father’s story is so captivating because of their humble upbringing. A father and a daughter from the simple village of Swat, Pakistan shaped a global perspective by acting locally against the Taliban regime that perpetuate a backwards ideology loosely based on religious values. This ideology that claimed women should stay at home and remain covered from head to toe was held by a group of dictatorial men who believed they knew what was best for women. By challenging these men, Ziauddin and his daughter Malala put themselves directly in danger but more important than anything, they put themselves directly under a global spotlight that allowed the world to see the faults of a dangerous group of people.

Without giving away too many spoilers, the documentary begins by giving background information on Ziauddin, a local schoolteacher and father to Malala. The art of rhetoric is immediately captured through this man who set up a small school with just one-hundred and fifty dollars. His message to use education as a platform for success resonated deeply with his students, but it also caused quite a stir within the community, specifically with the Taliban. Soon the terrorist organization began to bomb all of the schools in the area because students were being made aware of their potential that reached beyond the small local area of Swat. Ziauddin’s teaching methodology illustrated the power of words through speech and rhetoric.

Media plays a significant role in the story of Malala, starting from the Taliban all the way down to the little girl who went on to win the Nobel Peace Prize for using her voice to stand up to terrorists. The Taliban leaders used their local radio station initially to preach false mandates from the Quran. By controlling the local broadcast outlets in Swat, the Taliban soon began to control Swat itself and all of its inhabitants by instilling a deep sense of fear. What began as a show to preach misguided messages from Islam soon became a way to threaten an entire community for going against the beliefs of a few self-appointed authoritarians. Malala, who told her story of educational oppression to the BBC, used print and television to speak out in opposition to the anti-feminist manifesto of the Taliban. Through broadcast radio and eventually television, many Taliban leaders were exposed to the world all because one brave child took the opportunity a journalist was providing, to tell her side of the story.

The story of Nobel-prize winning activist, Malala Yousafzai, began and continues with the power of speech and rhetoric. By using the media as a tool to raise her voice against an extremist regime, she broke free from her philosophical prison and finally got the education she had been dreaming about. Although it took a bullet through her skull for people to finally hear what she had to say, her words and the way she used them impacted a global audience. She now uses that same voice to travel the world and give speeches persuading other communities to give education to their girls. Her success is a result of the power behind her speech.

Media was even used to tell the world Malala’s story in this very documentary. The essence of Malala was brilliantly captured by telling the story through they eyes of a young girl who proved to be the strongest warrior of all. It became clear that while Malala is a famous activist fighting for a girl’s right to education, she is also a young girl herself who loves her family, is embarrassed when talking about her crushes, and like us collegiates, drowns in homework during the week! This film provokes both sad and happy emotions that will make any audience member leave with a new sense of understanding.

‘He Named Me Malala’ is a must-watch for anyone who has an appreciation for their education and their life.

Erum Salam is a student at Texas A&M and an aspiring writer and producer. Her vast experience in television, radio, and print has prepared her for the rapidly converging career path she wants to pursue. She aims to write and produce content that will educate and entertain a global audience. She believes Her Campus offers young women a platform to vocalize their thoughts on contemporary issues facing us today, while also providing hilarious content in the form of listicles, blog posts, or quizzes that surely resonates with the female millennial demographic.