The Four-Legged Hero

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Last week, an earthquake of a 7.1 magnitude hit Southern Mexico and two other tremors followed the weekend after. After hearing of this information, I was devastated, thinking of all the people that were being affected by this: my people. I saw Gofundme pages and donation centers left and right, but never a troubled soul that couldn’t cope with it.

I’m proud to identify with the Mexican people for this reason and this reason only: When one thing stumbles upon their lives they don’t let it affect them. Not even a wall around their hearts can stop them from uniting, instead they pick up their mariachi instruments and sing “Cielito Lindo” to the world. #FuerzaMexico. 

Video after video would pop up on my Facebook newsfeed, and each broke my heart a little more until one specific post fixed the cracks before it completely shattered. I was met with Frida, the four-legged dog that has Mexicans loving her from the tip of her nose to the last inch of her wagging tail. 

This Labrador belongs to the Canine Unit of the Navy Secretary of Mexico. She has saved more than 50 lives during Mexico City’s impactful earthquake aftermath. Her labor with the search and rescue team has given her worldwide fame, with Japan giving her a recognized nickname of her own: “Marina-Chan.” Since she was two months old, she has been saving the hearts of many people, from her first flight to Ecuador to the ruins of Mexico today. The love is so great that the people decided to make her the honorable queen of her own parade!

With her specialized boots and goggles strapped below her furry ears, she continues to go around the city and its surrounding areas, rescuing people and helping heal the tragedies with her presence. Frida is not only a dog that symbolizes the heroism of the beautiful country, but symbolizes a great hope during these hard times. I must say, dogs are truly a gift from the heavens above.

Ashley Salas is an English major at Texas A&M University. When Ashley isn't writing, she spends her time creating original photography works and petting every dog she sees on the street. #dangerouswoman  She hopes to inspire people with her words and be the voice of many who are muted. 
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.