Five Trends You May (or May Not) be Thankful for This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time to sit back and reflect on the things we are thankful for. The year 2017 has been full of controversy. You either love something or you hate it. There is no room for a middle ground. Here is a list of five slightly controversial trends you may, or may not, be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

1) The JUUL

With the appearance of a USB stick, the JUUL, a nicotine vaporizer, has grown in popularity throughout 2017. Regardless of whether you are pro-vape or anti-vape, the JUUL will continue to add flavored vapor clouds to the air in 2018.

2) Taylor Swift’s second makeover

As Taylor Swift turns 28 years old this December, her career has seen its second makeover. The once country singer turned into a pop artist with the 2012 release of her album Red. After career altering drama, people either love or hate Taylor. Taylor deleted every picture on her Instagram account and uploaded three videos creating the image of a snake on her profile, marking the beginning of her second makeover and the release of her newest album, Reputation. Is Taylor a snake?

3) Halo Top Ice Cream

The trendy new “healthy” protein ice cream either kept your diet in check this semester or caused you to put on a couple extra pounds. Is it really healthy?

4) The iPhone Update

Although the iPhone Update offers a variety of new features, it also has its usual down falls such as glitches, bugs and freezing. Also, what is this “A [?]”?

5) Artificial Intelligence everywhere

From Alexa to a robot receiving citizenship in Saudi Arabia, AI continues to reach new heights in 2017. Some people think AI is wonderful, while others fear a world where robots try to over throw the human race. Either way, the advances in AI are still pretty cool.

So while you’re eating your Grandmother’s pumpkin pie wondering why it doesn’t taste like your PSL, don’t forget to think of the trends that you are thankful for this Thanksgiving.