Life > Experiences

Feel Like You Can’t Find Your Place in College?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Finding your place anywhere can be difficult, but college holds a new level of fear for many. For most, college is the first place that one will be by themselves without the safety of their parents. Truly independent. This would be the first time I didn’t know a single person, but I was determined to find my place. It sucked, and I struggled, but it was so worth it in the end.

Freshman year was definitely challenging. Being in the thick of COVID, an entirely new school that no one from my high school class attended. And originally from a town of fewer than 2,000 people, I was not familiar with the giant community of A&M. The only thing I had learned about at the time was the Freshman Leadership Organizations, so I decided to give it a shot, and got accepted into my first choice! I thought this was it. The perfect in. My place.

Boy, was I wrong. Instead, although I felt that these people would be my people forever, my bridesmaids, my besties and cared about everyone, I never thought I really ‘fit.’ This isn’t to say the group was bad or they did anything to hurt me, but I never felt like I was a part of it. I never wanted to go to meetings or hang out with them. It sucked, but I was ready to start something new the following year.

The following year rolled around, and my first semester was full of rejection. Granted, I only applied to two organizations (always apply around and see your options), but it was hard to convince myself to try again. So, the second semester I decided I wasn’t applying for anything. Then, a friend invited me to her sorority house for a COB (Continuous Open Bidding) event. I ended up rushing a sorority, which I honestly knew from the beginning wasn’t my vibe, but I wanted to fit in so badly I was willing to try anything.

That was the most expensive two friends ever. All the girls were sweet, but I never felt they were like me. Joining an organization of this size can be a large investment with potentially lots of stress. I think it’s a perfect organization for some girls, but not everyone and definitely not for me.

Finally, this year, I decided I would give it one last chance. I had two organizations I was interested in: two women’s orgs, but as soon as I went to the meet and greets, I knew which one was perfect.

Aggie Blossoms changed my life. The girls all were so sweet and easy to connect with. I found one of my best friends when we both had our interviews. This organization has allowed me to come back out of my shell and be open to joining other things. I am so grateful to have found my people, and it is so sad to know I’ll be leaving them soon.

If I could go back to my younger self and tell her anything, it would be “please don’t give up”. I thought I would never find my people at A&M and that it was merely something to ‘get through,’ but now I can’t imagine leaving all my friends behind. If you are in the same place I was, please know you will find your place if you keep trying. Trust me, I know it can be hard, but it will be so worth it when you find your home away from home.