The Lalapink Beauty Products
The Lalapink Beauty Products
Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

The Face Care You Didn’t Know You Needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Disclaimer : I’m not a dermatologist or a healthcare professional of any kind. This is just what I found works for me!

My skin used to be really bad. I’d come to school with painful pimples and my face was just going through it. However, after high school, I figured out why my skin would never get better: I was treating it terribly.

I would use harsh products containing benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid constantly. It’s what everyone swore by and I used it everyday, but continued to break out. I couldn’t figure out what was going wrong! Then, I tried the Yes To Cucumbers Milk Cleanser, and it saved me. It’s made of mostly natural ingredients, and after a few weeks of using it, my skin improved dramatically. 

This made me realize just how sensitive skin can be and how damaging using the wrong products is. Since then, I’ve thrown out all my old products and started using more naturally made products to keep my skin safe and healthy.

Currently, I only use three products.

Garnier Mattifying Micellar Water

This is probably the most important step in my three step routine. After taking off my makeup, I saturate a cotton round with the Garnier Micellar Water (the green bottle) and wipe it all over my face until there isn’t any makeup residue left at all. I use this every morning and night to cleanse my face as well. I originally used to use this after the Yes To cleanser, but one week I got super lazy, decided to only use this micellar water, and I’ve never been back since. I do love the Yes To cleanser, but it doesn’t make much of an impact anymore. It simply introduced me to the wonders of not using harsh products on my face.

Thayer’s Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner

I discovered this toner in 2018 and I love it! It smells great, it moisturizes my face, and it keeps my skin feeling fresh. It’s about $10 for a giant bottle! I use this with a cotton round after the micellar water, let it dry, and then I’m done with the day’s skin care! I might follow with makeup, but I’m normally too lazy and I just go on about my day after this.

Face mask/scrub

I don’t do a face mask everyday, but I try to do one about once a week. Do face masks do that much? Not really, but they do leave my skin feeling fresh and smooth. My favorites are peel off masks like this one from Target! A scrub I also like that I use about once a week in the shower is the Shea Moisture African Black Soap Wash and Scrub!

Those are the only things I do to my skin and it’s the best it’s ever been. The truth is that a lot of skin care products won’t warn you about harsh chemicals used in their products. Be sure to do proper research on what is safe for your skin and treat your skin kindly!

Howdy! My name is Nadia Lynn Garcia. I am the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Texas A&M University! I love music, concerts, travel, and graphic design, but my articles can tell you a little more about that. ;)