Everything you need to know to vote in this Texas Midterm Election (Explained)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

With this upcoming election, and the little coverage provided compared to presidential elections, you may be feeling overwhelmed with the lack of information you know. So, I have provided all the need-to-know details down below.

Registration

Are you registered? The deadline for registration was October 11th, so if you weren’t registered by then, you are barred from voting in this election.  

Check to see if you are registered here.

Voting Deadlines

Early Voting: Oct 24th -Nov 4th

Early Voting is a way to ensure you get your vote in on time. If you wait until election day to vote, you may have to deal with long wait times – something that might not fit into your busy schedule. So, skip the hassle election day may cause and head for those short early voting lines.

Check this site for more info on places holding early voting in your area.

Voting Deadline: Nov 8th at 7pm

Election day is November 8th. The polls are open from 7am to 7 pm. This is the last day to cast your ballot.

Check this site for polling places on election day.

Identification

In order to vote, you must bring a form of identification. The identification cannot be expired – that will make it invalid. A valid form of photo-identification is a Texas State Driver’s License.

Other forms are a U.S. passport, a U.S. citizenship certification (with photo), a U.S. military ID card(with photo), a Texas election identification certificate, a Texas personal identification card, or a Texas license to carry a handgun.

Ballot

This midterm election gives Texas voters a chance to vote for state leaders and district-based representatives. But, due to recent events, the main draw of this election is the governor’s position.  

Governor (Holds office for four years)

The candidates for governor are Greg Abbott, Beto O’Rourke, Mark Tippetts, and Delilah Barrios. Greg Abbott is running on the republican ticket, and he is going for reelection. If he wins, this will be his third term. Beto O’Rourke is running on the democratic ticket. Mark Tippetts is running on the Libertarian ticket. Delilah Barrios is running on the Green ticket.

For more information on other positions up for election as well as who is on the ballot, check this link out.

Of the following candidates, Greg Abbott and Beto O’Rourke are the leading parties.

Greg Abbott’s Reelection Platform:

Greg Abbott seeks to continue building “his record as a strong concervative leader who fights to preserve Texas values.”  

He believes he has been doing a fine job implementing his policies, and he will continue to do so when reelected.  His main policies are as follows: securing the border, supporting law enforcement, elevating Texas education, and growing the economy.

For more information on his policies and his goals, go here.

Beto O’Rourke’s Election Platform:

Beto O’Rourke states that when he is governor, he will fix the power grid, increase funding for public schools, expand Medicaid, repeal the anti-choice law that was signed into effect by Greg Abbott, legalize marijuana, and repeal permitless carry.

.

Now that you know the when, where, and who of voting, you’re ready. It’s time to vote!

.

Sources: 

apps.texastribune.org/2022-texas-midertm-ballot

ballotpedia.org/Texas 

gregabbott.com/issues

teamrv-mvp.texas.gov

www.texastribune.org/texas-voting-elections 

Howdy! I’m Gabriela Gomez, an avid reader who is interested in all areas of publishing and writing. And reading of course! I’m the Editor-in-Chief; I currently oversee all the publishing of articles for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter. I am overjoyed to read all the members’ articles and make any corrections that will help to elevate the article. I have been with Her Campus at TAMU since my freshman year. The first year I was a general member on the Writing and Editing committee. During that first year, I wrote a total of 23 articles and was always finding new ways to help. For my second year, I worked as the Senior Editor, publishing more than 80 articles and writing 38 articles. Now in my second semester of junior year, I have implemented a new pitch process for better organization and cleanest, I have already published more than 170 articles, and I have written 16 articles and will continue writing more! Besides working as the Editor-in-Chief, I am a dedicated student at Texas A&M studying Biomedical Sciences. I am also obtaining a minor in both English and Spanish. While not studying diligently, I work in a research lab grinding away, trying to get my name on some research papers (fingers crossed). In my free time, I read, obviously. I am also on the hunt for the best latte to ever bless this earth and love a good game of chess!