This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Growing up in a border townwhere the population rates more or less 99.9 percent Hispanicsthe city is waiting for dawn to take the road down to the cemetery. Every living soul dressed in black with a variety of flowers in their hands, others with already lit candles. Families surround their loved one’s tomb while they present their favorite food and drinks, and some are even accompanied by mariachis while they play what once was their favorite songs. This is my culture.

I never really understood this Catholic born celebration, but all I know is how sacred and important it is for every Mexican/Latino/Hispanic. Since I was a little kid, every November 2nd, we would visit my grandmother’s grave. Her children, grandchildren, and even great-grandchildren alongside her would hear stories from how our parents grew up en aquellos tiempos del rancho (back in the day, in those times in the ranch) with mamá and papa. We celebrated with the traditional pan de muerto and the streets were vibrant with all sorts of catrinas laughing at death itself and a variety of differently designed sugar skulls placed in every tomb. The houses were decorated with heartfelt altars of every kind and flores de Cempasúchil (Marigolds) guiding the spirits to their families. What I didn’t realize then was how much significance each detail had. All I knew was to respect and honor my tradition. Now, things have taken a turn. I am in a season when I understand this celebration more than ever. Three months ago, my father passed away from lung cancer. After my grandmother’s passing, we never really celebrated El Dia de los Muertos, until now.

Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) is mistaken as a celebration of death but it actually is the complete opposite; it is truly a celebration of life. Each year, people from all over Mexico come together and commemorate their loved ones in what sometimes is a week long celebrationNovember 1st for the day of the children, el Dia de los Inocentes (All Saints Day), through November 2nd All Souls Day or Day of the Dead. A festivity of parades, dancing, people playing their guitars and an abundance of food is taken place in every house on the block. Although each family has a different altar for the dead, they all contain the same traditional things.

• The altars consist of offerings such as:

• Candles – they are to welcome the spirits to their altars.

• Water – a glass is provided for their long journey back from the other side as they might be thirsty from their way to visit.

• Flor de Cempasúchil (Marigolds) – a native flower that grows in the center of the country guides the spirits to their families with their vibrant yellow color, symbolizing the sun and their strong aroma.

• Copal incense is also thought to help guide the spirits.

• Photo of the deceased – this is for whom the altar is built for, often containing multiple people. It is usually in the center.

• Pan de Muerto (bread of the dead) – symbolizes the departed.

• Sugar skulls – a symbol of death and the afterlife.

• Fresh fruit – such as oranges, etc.

• Food – usually consists of the departed’s favorite food.

• Drinks – apart from a glass of water, it is also the departed’s favorite drink, such as tequila or vodka, etc.

• Miscellaneous items – items that belonged to the dead are laid out on their altar.

El Dia de los Muertos is often misunderstood but it is actually a beautiful tradition where the family comes together to celebrate the life of the ones that have departed. Young ones and elders that were lost pay their visits and celebrate among us. We celebrate life. Their life. On any other day, the cemetery would be a place of mourning, but on November 1st and 2nd, the graveyard becomes a big dancing party.

Ashley Salas is an English major at Texas A&M University. When Ashley isn't writing, she spends her time creating original photography works and petting every dog she sees on the street. #dangerouswoman  She hopes to inspire people with her words and be the voice of many who are muted.