Eight Empowering Shows to Binge Watch over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

March is great. Not only does it mean Spring Break is just around the corner, it is also Women’s Month. Whether you are hastily packing for a fun-filled trip, or just looking forward to having time to sleep in next week, you might be searching for a new show to binge-watch in your new-found free time. Celebrate both Spring Break and Women’s Month with these eight Netflix shows with strong female leads: 

The Crown 

This opulent historical drama chronicles the reign of Queen Elizabeth II (Claire Foy) from her coronation to modern day. Beginning in the early 1940’s, the series provides a behind the scenes view of the young Queen’s life, including her lavish coronation and her rocky marriage to Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.  With a winning combination of intrigue, romance, and a stunning performance of Foy you’ll want to devour both available seasons in a night. 

The West Wing 

I can talk about this show all day. Over the course of seven seasons, The West Wing follows the staff members of the fictional Bartlet Administration as they juggle, policy gridlock, national crises, and their own personal lives.  In terms of strong female characters, it’s hard to ignore Press Secretary C.J. Cregg. Played by the now-legendary Allison Janney, C.J. is a complicated combination of confidence, humor and vulnerability. Whether she is trying to keep the lid on a story in a press briefing, or navigating the complexities of a foreign affairs faux pas, Cregg dominates both the press room and the small screen. 

Cable Girls (Las Chicas Del Cable) 

This Spanish period drama follows the lives of four working women as they navigate their jobs as telephone operators in 1920’s Madrid. Searching for empowerment, the women are brought together as they balance families, partners, and their dangerous pasts. Though the original Spanish version is available, the show also features English language voice overs. Regardless of your viewing choices, nothing about these women’s struggle for independence gets lost in translation.

Scandal 

You can’t ignore the power of Olivia Pope. In this thrilling political drama, “fixer” Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington) must make scandals disappear while juggling government crisis and a tumultuous affair with the President of the United States. A former lawyer and White House Aide, Olivia Pope is is professionally powerful emotionally complex. The definition of empowerment, Pope was the first dramatic protagonist role played by a black woman on American network television since 1974. The series finale will air on ABC in April, so you still have time to catch up from the very beginning. 

Call the Midwife 

Set in 1950’s London, the PBS drama Call the Midwife follows young nurse Jenny Lee (Jessica Raine) as she joins the ranks of her fellow midwives in a nursing convent. Gradually finding her way, Lee forms lasting friendships amongst her colleagues as they struggle to treat patients in poverty-stricken east-end. Filled with joyous celebration, eccentricity, and tragedy, this heartwarming drama will have you crying tears of sadness, and of joy. 

Grace and Frankie 

If you haven’t checked out Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin’s return to the small screen you are missing out. After their husbands run off …with one another, long time frenemies Grace (Fonda) and Frankie (Tomlin) are forced to become roommates as a San Diego beach house. With the perfect mix of hilarity, awkwardness and the realities of growing older, you’ll be hooked by the first episode. 

Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries 

With a female protagonist that is neither matronly or an ingenue, you’ll quickly become obsessed with this Great Gatsby-esque Australian drama. The 13-part TV series follows heiress and novice detective Phryne Fisher (Essie Davis) as fights crime and investigates mysteries in 1920’s Melbourne. The glamorous Miss Fisher fights against injustice while searching the truth behind the disappearance of her younger sister. You’ll quickly become obsessed with the pistol-wielding, sharp-witted Fisher, who fights crime while also fighting against female stereotypes.  

She’s Gotta Have It 

Based on the 1986 Spike Lee film of the same name She’s Gotta Have It follows young artist Nola Darling (DeWanda Wise)  as she rediscovers her identity while balancing her social life, work, and romance. Set in modern-day Brooklyn, Nola must navigate, adult life on her own terms while trying to remain independent, a struggle familiar to many young women. Juggling multiple relationships, multiple jobs and overdue rent, Nola’s many attempts to find herself amidst a sea of complexities is both very relatable and very fun to watch.

Happy Streaming! 

Bethany Irvine

Georgetown '21

Bethany is a second year graduate student based in Washington D.C. When she's not enjoying the sights and sounds of downtown D.C. she's busy studying the intersection between politics and communication.
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.