Donovan Wilson, Texas A&M Defensive Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Texas A&M defensive back Donovan Wilson is a born and raised louisianimal known for his larger than life personality and humor. Standing an inch over six feet and weighing in at 205 pounds, Wilson, a sophomore, clocks in plenty of playing time for the Fightin’ Texas Aggie football team, proudly wearing the No. 6 on his back.

Wilson derives his energy for the football games from a mixture adrenaline, nerves, and pure exhilaration for the 100 yards that lie before him. Playing on the newly renovated Kyle Field for the first time was no exception to that state of ambivalence.

“I was so nervous and excited when we were walking out of the tunnel to 100,000 plus fans—it’s a crazy feeling, but I always know once I get that first play in, I’ll be good,” Wilson said.

As someone who isn’t shy to the feeling of missing his family back in Louisiana, Wilson explained that the reason for choosing Texas A&M was due to the coaching staff and family environment that the football program embodies and is grateful that renowned defensive coordinator John Chavis is now part of that equation.

“Coach Chavis brings a lot of energy to the team by the way he talks to us at practice and before games. His entire tone gets me going every time,” Wilson said.

Wilson has played football since he was six years old and has specifically played as a defensive back since 2010. His family comes out to see him play as much as they can, which he said gives him an extra boost on the field.

“I love my mom so much, and I don’t want her to work anymore. Every time I go out on the field, I do it for her and the rest of my family,” Wilson said.

Wilson’s goals for the year consist of both team and individual objectives.

“As a team, we’re going to win the SEC West and then the SEC championship. For myself, I want to achieve first team All-America this year. I know I’m a sophomore, and I’ve got a lot of work to do, but I think I’m in pretty good shape to fight for it,” Wilson said.

In his spare time, Wilson enjoys watching Netflix, hanging out with friends, eating and cooking. Although his favorite type of food is seafood, Wilson is best at making “Donovan’s special spaghetti.” He laughed as he explained that there is nothing special about the dish other than the fact that he makes it.

“I can be over the top, but that’s what sets me apart from everyone else,” Wilson said.

Wilson said he sees A&M as a place to set up a good career. He is majoring in sports management in hopes of one day becoming a defensive back coach.

Leana is a communication major journalism minor at Texas A&M University. She loves writing, food, and keeping herself busy. Leana is an aspiring broadcast journalist and plans on attending law school after receiving her bachelor's.