Do You Hate Taylor Swift? Or Do You Really Just Hate Women?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

As the Super Bowl came to a close this past Sunday, I couldn’t help but think of all the turmoil that was caused this football season because of a super star dating a tight end. Taylor Swift is easily one of the most well known people ever, yet when she appeared at the Kansas City Chiefs game for the first time back in September, men had the impertinence to say Travis Kelce was more well known than the pop star. However, this was the very beginning of the misogynistic acts that were to unfold. As Taylor Swift began appearing at more and more games, the more men with fragile egos and fragile masculinities started to retort against her, and women who were starting to partake in football Sunday’s. Taylor Swift’s influence created a 53% increase in female viewership and $122 million increase in NFL brand value in just a few short months. Despite these glowing milestones for the NFL, men have nothing but horrid things to say. When speaking to a male about the increase of women enjoying football, his response was, “they are failing the next generation.” Failing the next generation by allowing women to find football enjoyable and making it their own? Needless to say, I was left speechless. This encounter and many of the other endless twitter threads of Taylor Swift hate leads me to believe that men don’t hate Taylor Swift, they hate women. They hate that women are coming into their male dominated sport. They’re no longer allowed a day “without women.” Men are now “forced” to share their sport with women, which hurts their tiny little ego. Let’s face it, Taylor Swift has done nothing but create an environment for women to become interested in the sport of football and increased the NFL’s ratings. There’s absolutely no way to spin this narrative. Taylor Swift isn’t the problem, she never was. The problem is and always will be the fact that men hate women (arguably all women) who try to impede on their beloved hyper masculine sports.

Hi, I’m Taylor Douglas! I’m the Events Director for Her Campus at TAMU! I have the honor of creating/running all the events Her Campus does at TAMU! As for my writing, I enjoy creating articles about my personal experiences in life, which range from college experiences, current books I’ve read or new things I’ve tried! Beyond Her Campus, I’m also the Marketing Coordinator for LMSA PLUS at TAMU, which is a Latino Pre-Med organization, where I have the privilege of designing merchandise and updating our website. I also participate in a women’s organization on campus at A&M where I’m encouraged to break out of my shell! Additionally, I am a tutor for 5th and 6th graders off campus, which I love doing! Lastly, I’m a Senior Sociology major in hopes of going to PA school to pursue a career in Psychiatry! My free time is cut very thin, but whenever I do find the time, I enjoy quiet nights, wrapped in my bed sheets watching a good show or movie. I’m currently obsessed with Ugly Betty on Netflix and The Summer I Turned Pretty on Amazon Prime and I’m probably the biggest Taylor Swift fan you'll encounter and I’m not ashamed to admit it.