freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Everyone knows these two, the best friends madly in love with each other but have no idea yet. We all have seen them and we have all secretly envied them. But how do they go from being “just friends” to dating? This is how I did it.

A couple months into my friendship with my best guy friend, I looked at him doing something stupid and my stomach fluttered. The butterflies had awoken and my brain was screaming “NOOO!” Flustered, I pushed the feelings down for months because I didn’t want to ruin our friendship. Unfortunately, the feelings got stronger, and I had no idea how he felt about me. I very suddenly fell in love with my best friend, but I couldn’t say anything because I valued his friendship over everything else.

Then, one day, it all changed. We were hanging out like normal, but our hands kept bumping together and lingering longer than usual. My brain kept screaming, “Don’t do this, do not cross this line,” but my heart screamed louder. We destroyed the friend zone that we had created, and honestly at the moment when we leaned in towards each other, I did not care at all. All I cared about was the explosions that went off when we kissed. Months of attraction, friendship and tension we didn’t know was there overwhelmed me like a tsunami. The intensity of it all drowned me, and yet, I felt completely content at that moment.

Destroying the friend zone turned out to be the easy part. The hard part was determining what this all meant for us, and it was scary for me to admit how long I’d had feelings for him. Once we figured out that we were now dating, we then had to inform our mutual friends about it. It was awkward to say the least, everyone asking “how did this happen?” but at the end of the day it was worth it because I was in a very real, very emotionally connected relationship with my best friend. Plus even if it burns fast, at the end of the day we are still friends, and we still have each other’s backs because our friendship will always come before our relationship.