A College Student’s Guide to the 2020 Presidential Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

We are just nine  months away from making a pretty huge political decision. For many college students (or those around the ages of 18-22), this will be the first time we participate in the actual decision making process of a presidential election. Everyone seems to act as if that’s like the most exciting thing in the world? When in reality, it leaves most of us feeling utterly terrified. If you are like me, your primary emotions regarding the upcoming election are anxiety and confusion. Anxiety caused by the candidates, current issues, and the responsibility to choose a candidate to properly handle said current issues; and confusion because… how do you make the right decision? Is there even a right decision…?    

Regardless of how we feel, college students make up a HUGE part of the voting population. So basically, this is really important. How do we as young adults prepare ourselves to help elect or re-elect the next leader of our nation? Luckily, there are endless resources available designed to assist new voters with the voting process. Many of these resources are tied to or affiliated with a political party, so it is up to us to do the research and determine who and what we want to stand with.     

Below, I have made a list of political resources that are extremely helpful and may make the decision process a little less scary! I have also added to the list some basic tips for smart voting. :)  

1. Register to vote 

Okay, so this seems like a good place to start.  If you are 18 years old or over, please register to vote. It is extremely easy to do. You can do it at the DMV or even better, you can do it online. This is super important!!

2. Form your own opinions

You probably grew up with parents (or any adults in your life) who voted a certain way and often voiced their opinion about politics. The strong opinions of others can stick with you, especially if you were around it as a child. It’s perfectly normal to feel that a certain political leaning is right or wrong based on the way those close to you feel about it. However, it is incredibly important to do your OWN research and make your OWN political decisions. That’s part of what makes this process kinda fun, finding your own voice. No matter how it may feel, it is perfectly okay to have differing views from those close to you.:)    

3. Check out the League of Women Voters!

If you are a woman voter or have some women in your life that you think are really cool then you should check out the League of Women Voters. They stay away from specific parties and candidates, but aim to inform the public about policies affecting women in the political scene.

https://www.lwv.org 

4. Vote for a person, not a party

Don’t stress about identifying with a particular party. By labeling yourself Democrat or Republican, you put yourself in a box when it comes to voting possibilities. You personally may prefer to identify with a party, but most of the time it is easier to vote for a candidate you agree with instead of being tied to a side.   

5. Visit Rock the Vote!

Rock the Vote’s website is FULL of resources for young voters. Remember when I said you could register to vote online? You can do that on this website! After you finish registering, they have tons of information of current issues and events, as well as the candidates’ stances on them. Definitely an amazing resource! 

https://www.rockthevote.org 

6. VOTE! 

This seems like a good place to end. Please vote. Believe me, I know how easy it is to say “well, I don’t like any of the candidates so why vote?”. NO. That is not the answer! The political situation will only get worse if people continue to adopt that mentality. This is an extremely important election, and we need all the help we can get! The votes of our generation matter more than ever. So, in the words of Nanette L. Avery, “Talk is cheap, voting is free; take it to the polls.”       

Howdy! I'm Caleigh Briley, a freshman Communication major from Kenedy, TX. You can find me crying in Evans Library while gripping a venti vanilla sweet cream cold brew.