College: Finding Deals to Decorate Your Living Space

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Whether you were doomed to dorm-life or blessed with apartment life, your first year in your own living space can be stressful. You have to learn how to cook and clean. Let’s be real, though. The most important part of having your own home is decorating. A dorm might not be the most ideal place to decorate, but once you have an apartment… Oh, boy. Of course you need that red toaster. It matches the place mats.

As a college kid, you definitely don’t have the money or time to be decorating your home like your mom does when she goes on a spree at Kirkland’s, Macy’s, or Bed Bath & Beyond. Still, you want your living space to look nice. You want it to look like that model home your apartment complex showed you before they sold you on their triple digit rent payment that is still hurting your wallet. So, let’s save some money with the following tips.

Online Discounts

Groupon.com is your friend. Sales are your friends. E-mails that would usually go in the trash are your friends. Keep a look out for deals on the Internet. It saves you time and money. You can compare prices much better online than you can walking from store to store.

Discount Stores (Hobby Lobby, Ross, Dollar Tree or Dollar General, Marshall’s)

The above-mentioned stores are my jam, people. Hobby Lobby offers discounts every day on entire sections of their store. They also have an online discount that you can scan for any item. As for Ross, better prices, better home. They offer brand-name items at the lowest cost possible, and they basically have every household decor you could need. Always shop at the discounted stores. You walk away with more. More smiles, more decorations, and more money in your wallet.

Pre-Owned

Facebook Marketplace? I’m there. Always. Always watching. Always searching. Always first to comment because it’s a mad house when a good item is posted on there. Find Facebook groups that you can join in your area that sell used items. There’s always a diamond in the rough on there. These are normal people trying to get rid of perfectly good items and decorations that could fit right in at your home. Also, you can try Craigslist or eBay if you’re about that. (Side note: Meet in public places when going through with purchases or meet-ups)

Hand-Me-Downs

Does anyone know how many things in my home have been handed down from my parents back home? Do you want free decorations or useful items? The answer to this: never say no. When you’re starting out at your own place, your parents will probably help you out. Who cares if it isn’t your style? Don’t be picky. Start decorating.

“Do you want this photo frame?”

“Yes.”

“Do you want this ice chest?”

“Yes.”

Do you want literally everything in this house, wonderful daughter of mine?

Oh, literally, yes.

Seasonal Specials

Buy your Christmas gear in January. You think I’m joking? I’ll be laughing with my discounted decorations while you still pay back your $100 Christmas wreath that you bought in November. No, seriously, guys. Everything is discounted the day after a holiday ends (Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas). It’s just logical to start shopping that early.

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.