In Celebration of Women’s History Month, Let’s Talk About Some of The Most Iconic Moments From the First Ladies of the Internet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

In the age of the internet, most people are no strangers to the viral powers of the World Wide Web. With applications like Vine and TikTok, the virality phenomenon has reimagined the American Dream à la 21st century.

Funny moments and quotes are now and forever immortalized through memes, audios, and tweets alike. In true Gen Z fashion, what better way to kick-off Women’s History Month than with a look back at the internet’s most ground-breaking, hilarious, and memorable quotes from our favorite ladies of the internet.

Lady Gaga’s: “Talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, completely unique”

Ah yes, the notorious phrase to end all phrases. Lady Gaga is no stranger to memorable moments. During a 2015 interview with The Hollywood Reporter, the global sensation herself spoke adamantly about her admiration for the American Horror Story show creator Ryan Murphy, and alas, a star of a quote was born. Often used in the context of acclamation, Gaga’s words will forever live on as the ultimate pep talk. You can find this quote in regular use in the comment section of your favorite artists or in the ocean of celebrity fancams. All in all, this is the perfect phrase to describe how we feel about all women every day, but especially on National Women’s Month. Thank you, Mother Monster!

Michelle Obama’s: “Hey, Queen!” Message to Beyonce

Another edition to the women-supporting-women theme, the former First Lady, Michelle Obama, graced the internet with this empowering, light-hearted message of encouragement in a 2019 message to Beyonce. The congratulatory message struck a chord with internet users and continues to be used as an expression of praise and encouragement. Use it as a caption under a selfie for a clear declaration of self-love, or hype-up your besties in their comment section. 

Nicki Minaj’s: “She’s a mammoth, of course!”

Like all of the women on this list, Nicki Minaj has a plethora of noteworthy quotes that have secured her infamy for generations to come. In a 2012 interview, Minaj spoke at length about her role in the Ice Age 2 movie. When asked about her character, Steffie, she had nothing but words of praise to describe her. This short but effective clip of the almost 5-minute interview has recently resurfaced on TikTok as popular audio. Aside from the supportive tone with which Miss Minaj expresses her admiration, TikTok has taken this phrase and ran with it in numerous directions. While some users have followed the direction of the original video and used it when describing admiration for someone, others have remixed it into a compilation of multiple Nicki phrases to the tune of “Savage” by Megan The Stallion. In other words, think of this meme as a niche approach at a compliment.

Keke Palmer’s: “I don’t know who this man is”

Another phrase that rose to infamy through TikTok is Keke Palmer’s hilarious quote from a 2019 Vanity Fair interview where Palmer took a lie detector test and, when asked a question regarding Dick Chaney, admitted to not being familiar with the former VP of the United States. The phrase is now widely used on TikTok in the context of pretending to be unfamiliar with someone or something. As the internet generation, we all collectively owe Miss Keke Palmer a massive thank you for bringing us some of the most hilarious content we have ever seen. We salute you, Keke.

Dakota Johnson’s: “No Ellen, you were invited”

Dakota Johnson made headlines after her appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show in 2019. An attempt at clarification resulted in infamy for the 31-year-old actress. Fans across social media showed support for the actresses’ statements by turning a seemingly awkward situation into a noteworthy moment. Johnson’s quote is now used in multiple contexts. Whether it be ironically responding to a sassy tweet or randomly quoting the moment, Johnson’s phrase has become a timeless moment captured by daytime TV.

Happy Women’s History Month to all the ladies, and thank you to the women above for their contributions to society and womankind.

Hey Hey Hey! My name is Camila and I'm an Industrial Distribution major from Austin, Texas. I'm passionate about Evian Water, Harry Styles, and The Great British Bake Off. In my free time, I love to make lists of books I want to read, scroll aimlessly through social media, and search for the next great viral moment.