This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

With Valentine’s Day just happening, it is a crucial time for anyone who’s going through a break up. Take it from someone whose friend is in the midst of trying to heal her broken heart. I haven’t been around many people that have been through a break up, so trying to learn how to be there for my friend is difficult. I’ve decided to share a list of things that have helped her so far along with other activities that might help others take their mind off of thinking about their ex.

So recently, a friend of mine has just broken up with her boyfriend of a few months. She’s been going through the whole wave of emotions from sobbing to love songs to cursing his name in the club. Though they were happy at the beginning of their relationship, things seemed to take a turn when she finally realized she deserved better than the way he was treating her.

Since I’ve been there from the beginning of their relationship and the end, I’ve seen how much the break up has affected her. I don’t have a lot of experience when it comes to relationships. I don’t know much about how it feels to be in love or what it feels like to have your heart broken, but one thing I do know is how to be a good friend. And with that, I am trying my best to help my friend feel better in this next heart break stage of healing.

Here are a few things I suggested that might help her feel like her old self again:

• Buy a new outfit that you feel confident in
  • Have a break up party
  • Host a girls night with wine and snacks
  • Practice activities you liked doing before your relationship
    • meditating, reading, yoga
  • Burn his photos and clothing items he left behind
  • Print a picture of his face and tape it to a dart board
  • Work out
  • Go get a manicure or pedicure
  • Put up sticky notes and write positive quotes
  • Download an affirmation app
  • Dress cute, do your makeup, and go out
  • Listen to happy music

I know getting over a break up takes time, and these activities may not fully take away the pain she’s feeling, but I think it’s better to go through the motions of navigating your way outside of a relationship and learn how to be independent again. It’s okay to feel all that you’re feeling, whether that’s screaming or ugly crying because that’s part of the process of healing and accepting heart break.

Howdy, I'm a senior English major at Texas A&M University. I'm a huge book lover and a movie fanatic. I'm here to share many stories with y'all.