Appreciating Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

As we get close to concluding a significant time of the year, Black History Month, I would like to note a few things that have come to my attention.

1. The increase in celebration… 

Is it just me or has this been the most celebrated BHM yet? I’ve seen a range of related things; shirts, people really embracing who they are with a bold confidence, and even special events. That takes me to my next point. 

2. Black Panther debut… 

Part of the hype this year is the tactfully planned release of the fantastic film Black Panther. Although it is based on a fantasy comic book, it still touches upon a few problems actually faced by the African-American community, such as poor living conditions, all the while beautifully showcasing an exotic African culture. 

3. A prospective view…

This month is all about acknowledging and celebrating the milestones that have helped the African-American population rise and get one step closer to equality. However, we shouldn’t forget that there are barriers still left to bring down. Continuing to remind ourselves of the achievements conquered through celebrations like BHM is one way to encourage positive changes that get us one step closer to equality. 

4. A retrospective view…

It blows my mind when I actually consider how things used to be. As of now, slavery and segregation have seen a longer lifetime than inclusion and freedom. To clarify that a bit, around the time my parents were born segregation was barely starting to see it’s end. From a historical viewpoint, that’s fairly recent, considering it was roughly around 60 years ago, easily a person’s lifetime.

5. The minute things…

Big fights have occurred to make small, yet meaningful changes. Common daily activities such as riding the bus would be very different were it not for the brave that decided they rightfully deserved equality. Now, because of them, we live a life highly contrasted to that which they experienced. In classes, work, transportation, and churches, to name a few, it is the norm for Caucasians and African-Americans and other minorities to be mixed, despite the original, intense resistance for it to be otherwise.

African-American/BHM is about celebrating the brave, the deprived, the successful and those that are still are affected by primitive thinking. Although it is a significant month, the praise and attention that occurs throughout the month is a mentality that should be kept year round. 

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.