This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

COLLEGE STATION, March 10, 2023 – In what many NCAA basketball fans are calling a major upset for men’s basketball, the Texas A&M Aggies defeated the Alabama Crimson Tide with a score of 67-61 in a nail-biter game held in Reed Arena on March 4. 

While Alabama and Texas A&M are ranked 1st and 2nd respectively within the Southeastern Conference (SEC), Alabama was ranked 2nd in the NCAA’s men’s basketball standings prior to the game. With the Aggies’ win on March 4, the team jumped from 24th to 18th within the NCAA rankings, while the loss bumped Alabama down two spots to 4th in the NCAA.

Many Texas A&M students camped out overnight to secure the best seats in the house in what was considered one of the biggest games of the year, with the earliest attendees settling in two days before the game. Other Aggies woke up at the dawn of gameday to secure their spots. Additionally, the dress code for this game was “white out”, where students wore white shirts to match Texas A&M’s basketball players that were playing in their white uniforms.

Senior kinesiology major Isabella Edaño marked the game as one of the best moments she’s had while attending Texas A&M: “I woke up at 6 AM to join the [ticket] line, and the game brought out the most school spirit I’ve had since being here.”

As the Aggies advance to the SEC conference, they may also have a chance to participate in March Madness, a tournament of 68 NCAA teams from across the country. The announcement of selected teams will be announced on March 12 at 5 PM CST on CBS.

For game highlights, click here to see clips provided by CBS Sports.

Hey, I'm Alyssa! I'm an International Studies major from Laredo, TX. I spend most of my time cramming (or pretending to) in Evans Library. When I'm not doing that, I'm eating, listening to music, or watching 1 of 3 Netflix Series for the nth time.