This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

By all accounts, I am hispanic.  I am latina.  I am mexican.  

But very rarely do I actually feel like I live up to this title.  Often, I feel like an imposter parading around as a hispanic woman.  Why?  Because when people look at me, they often see a white girl.  And while I am also half white, that doesn’t negate the part of me that is hispanic.  

Growing up, my father didn’t speak Spanish. I don’t know any of my relatives on that side except for my grandmother and grandfather.  And we don’t practice any Mexican traditions in our house.  The traditions we did celebrate were from my mother’s side.  This lack of cultural identity also left me feeling like I was lacking, that I wasn’t truly hispanic.  It felt like the only reminder that I am Mexican was my last name: Gomez.  

So what did I do?  I decided the only way I could truly claim to be hispanic was to speak Spanish.  Only after I properly learned the language could I identify with the community. 

But what did it mean to speak Spanish?  Was knowing how to curse someone out the bar?  Was knowing how to hold a fast paced conversation the bar?  Was understanding every single phrase and word spoken to me the bar? 

Or was the bar something I would always push further away from me, never quite grasping it?  Never quite grasping on to my hispanic identity

The attainable goal I set for myself soon became unattainable – and still feels like that sometimes.  So even though I did learn the language and have decent conversational skills, I still feel like it’s not enough.  If someone inquires about my proficiency with the language I will always downplay it.  

But starting today, with the dawn of the Hispanic Heritage month of 2023, I will try to shift my mindset away from the pressure of perfection.  I will allow myself to grow more comfortable with the language.  

Because no matter what, I am hispanic.  I am latina.  I am mexican.  And no one can contradict that, not even myself.

Howdy! I’m Gabriela Gomez, an avid reader who is interested in all areas of publishing and writing. And reading of course! I’m the Editor-in-Chief; I currently oversee all the publishing of articles for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter. I am overjoyed to read all the members’ articles and make any corrections that will help to elevate the article. I have been with Her Campus at TAMU since my freshman year. The first year I was a general member on the Writing and Editing committee. During that first year, I wrote a total of 23 articles and was always finding new ways to help. For my second year, I worked as the Senior Editor, publishing more than 80 articles and writing 38 articles. Now in my second semester of junior year, I have implemented a new pitch process for better organization and cleanest, I have already published more than 170 articles, and I have written 16 articles and will continue writing more! Besides working as the Editor-in-Chief, I am a dedicated student at Texas A&M studying Biomedical Sciences. I am also obtaining a minor in both English and Spanish. While not studying diligently, I work in a research lab grinding away, trying to get my name on some research papers (fingers crossed). In my free time, I read, obviously. I am also on the hunt for the best latte to ever bless this earth and love a good game of chess!