8 Ways to Improve Your Writing & Prevent Writer’s Block

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Many of us experience writers block way too often. Heck, I’m experiencing it right now. I don’t even know where I’m going with this, so you’re not alone, my friend. But while I sit here in a creative coma, I managed to configure a list of eight ways to improve your writing and generate ideas so you (or me–let’s be real, it’s me) can prevent writer’s block. Finally! My media writing classes are coming to good use.

1. READ

This is pretty much the No. 1 rule when it comes to writing. I don’t know how many times my professors have said to me, “If you want to become a better writer, pick up a book.” Reading allows you to broaden your vocabulary a little bit more. You are being exposed to words and phrases your mind has yet to come across. It really doesn’t matter what you read. You can read a novel, a magazine, or the back of a cereal box. The point is to always have your mind running, working and generating new ideas.

2. ATTEND A POETRY READING

You’d be amazed at what you’re exposed to at a poetry reading. Some of the most raw and honest words I’ve ever experienced have come from poetry. Also, some people are actually pretty damn funny.

3. JOURNAL

Writing is a talent to be exercised. Open your mind to different kinds of writing, whether it makes you uncomfortable or not. Take the time to examine and learn the different styles and give it a shot. You may not be the best poet or songwriter, but you become more understanding about they way people express themselves. You also allow your writing to grow profoundly when you’re honest. Chances are there’s someone out there waiting to hear your exact words.

4. HAVE SOME ALONE TIME

Spending some alone time to write can be beneficial to your creative growth. Try to eliminate any distractions and write whatever is on your mind. You are free to write whatever you want. Heck, you can write gibberish if you want. Eventually, you’re going to write down a word that sparks an idea, and your mind will begin to develop thoughts according to that topic.

5. CARRY A NOTEPAD

You know when you’re talking to someone or you’re out and about, and all of a sudden, you think of a really cool topic, or lyric, or sentence? Write it down. I mean, you don’t necessarily have to carry a notepad, but reach for your phone, and write it in the notes app. You’re already on your phone anyways, so you’re just a tap away. Write down any idea that inhabits your brain, even if it sounds smart one moment and stupid the next. These are the things you can come back to when you’re spending time alone. 

6. LOOK UP WORDS IN THE DICTIONARY

Eminem managed to rhyme five words to orange in an interview with Anderson Cooper. How, you ask? Because he picked up a freaking dictionary, that’s how! I would also recommend scanning a thesaurus, although, I’m afraid some of you will get carried away. Just know your limit. You don’t want to be the one to sign your letters off with “Sincerely, Baby Kangaroo Tribiani.”

7. EDIT

I’m sure you’re rolling your eyes at this one–especially you journalism majors out there! But yes, I mean it. Open up that beloved AP Stylebook and begin to go through your papers. Offer to edit your friends’ essays too. Familiarize yourself with proper grammar and punctuation, and learn to pick up on certain habits and ideas. You’re exposed to so many things while editing papers, and you’re allowing your brain to work at correcting errors like a puzzle. 

8. PICK UP A NEWSPAPER AND REWRITE THE LEDES

A lede is the first sentence in any article that is meant to grab a reader’s attention. If your lede sucks, your reader will lose interest and close the tab. Read through the information that is provided in the story, remember who your audience is, then write a clear sentence that will grab their attention. Do this several times, and allow people to give you feedback. 

NOW GO ON AND WRITE YOURSELF A NOVEL, GURL!

Ruby Majano is an Agricultural Communiations and Journalism major at Texas A&M University. She loves music, poetry and story telling. Ruby aspires to be a print journalist and dreams of one day writing for the New York Times.