7 Things We Miss About Selena Quintanilla

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Basically, every Latino growing up heard Selena Quintanilla blasting from the speakers at every house party. It’s not uncommon to get that tingly feeling, pulling you to get up and dance to “Bidi Bidi Bom Bom.” 

On April 16, the Tejano music superstar would have celebrated her 45th birthday. Here are 7 things we miss about her:

1. Her sense of style

Selena had a creative eye when it came to fashion. She designed her onstage costumes, and her famous bedazzled bustier never missed a show! Selena even opened up her own boutique, Selena Etc., in Corpus Christi, Texas. Talk about a dream come true.

Photo Credit: Pinterest

2. Her motivation/inspiration

Everybody loved seeing this queen’s smile and along with it came her inspirational words. Selena encouraged her fans to pursue their dreams and  “…to believe that the impossible is always possible.”

3. Her voice

Oh man, when Selena peeped a vocal it sent chills down everyone’s spine. Her voice had an immense power that made you feel every emotion of every word and that is definitely missed by her fans.

4. Her performance

When Selena got on stage she let her hips do the talking. This woman could hit every dance move, she was a natural.

5. Her love for food

Need I say more?

Photo Credit: Pinterest

6. Her charisma

Selena had a good sense of humor and lighted up any room she entered. She definitely won you over with her smile. Her personality made the star loved by her audience. And in their right mind, who wouldn’t fall in love with her?

7. She was the Queen of Tejano Music

Selena is the definition of embracing your roots, even if it means coming from two different places at once. She broke barriers in the music industry by simply being a woman whose dream was to inspire.

Photo Credit: Tejano Queen

Selena created a legacy that, 22 years after her death, is not forgotten. She made history in the Latino community and especially opened new doors for women in the fashion and music industry. She broke records and she is definitely someone we look up to for that.

Happy 46th Birthday, Selena!

Ashley Salas is an English major at Texas A&M University. When Ashley isn't writing, she spends her time creating original photography works and petting every dog she sees on the street. #dangerouswoman  She hopes to inspire people with her words and be the voice of many who are muted.