Desk flatlay?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Desk flatlay?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Career > Work

6 Tips to Deal with Career Rejections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

It’s the time of year when everyone seems to be posting on Linkedin about their promising new internship this summer- intensifying the imposter syndrome and feelings of comparison that every college student can sometimes feel when trying to boost their resume. We are constantly fed this narrative that we should always be rising, hustling, looking for every opportunity possible. But it is more than okay to not have an internship lined up for the summer, especially with how competitive they can be in some fields. Here are six tips to turn disappointment into fuel for something better: 

1. Put it in Perspective

Especially if you’re early on in your career path (i.e. a freshman or a sophomore) it can often feel like having an internship is necessary to start everything else. It’s a vicious cycle that makes us feel that we need to have an internship for experience, and vice versa. However, the reality is that “experience” is different for everyone. Even if you don’t get an internship at your dream nonprofit, that doesn’t mean that volunteering or working another job will have less merit to employers. In fact, it could even make your application more well-rounded. For example, when I talked to a lawyer who reviewed resumes for potential new lawyers at his firm, he said that often employers love people who have worked in sales or retail jobs because they have people skills. And remember, you have lots of time between now and graduation to develop your skills. One rejection doesn’t wipe away every opportunity to display them.

1. Volunteer! 

If you’re anything like me, you need a backup plan or just something constructive to do with all your time in the summer. Many organizations and nonprofits based in Bryan and College Station offer summer work or volunteer opportunities. Another idea from my pre-law advisor is to volunteer at your local hospital, animal shelter, or another organization that is relevant to your passions. Even if it’s not something related to your career, employers love to see someone dedicated to their community. Beyond the benefits of volunteering to your community, doing so can also ease those feelings of imposter syndrome. After receiving multiple rejections from internships the summer after high school, I volunteered at voter registration drives- it reminded me of how much I loved community organizing.

1. Comparison kills 

Getting hard news inevitably makes you wish you had done more, and seeing others receiving an opportunity can often make you compare yourself to them. As someone who has struggled with feeling inferior, I love this quote: “Comparison is the thief of joy”. Happiness (and success) in your career is not determined by what other people do, and you’ll never be able to be this “ideal” person. Rather than trying to become an ideal person and change who you are, strive towards an ideal mindset- one where rejection is okay and doesn’t define you. 

1. Online Courses

Platforms like Coursera offer lots of classes in coding, business skills, or even on mindfulness and study skills that are affordable and online. The summer is a great time to learn these things. I took one on women’s health and human rights that helped me realize what I wanted to research in college, so you might explore something you truly have never encountered! 

1. Surround yourself with positivity

Family pressure or peer pressure can be a contributing factor to the hurt we feel after being rejected- in any context. For that reason, it’s important to surround yourself with people who see you as being more than a number, and who will uplift you rather than put you down. Reminding yourself of what really matters can do wonders. 

1. Use TAMU Resources!

The Career Center (located in the Koldus building across from the MSC) at TAMU has amazing resources to help you navigate the world of work. They hold resume reviews, mock interviews, and can direct you to profession-specific advising (i.e. pre-med, pre-law, etc.). Brushing up on career skills is a process, and it’s one that should not be done alone. 

Neha Rao

TAMU '26

Neha is a freshman political science major at Texas A&M. She is an avid coffee enthusiast, bookworm, and lover of every single dog breed ever created. Her writing interests include psychology, movies, and the experiences of women of color in the United States. She hopes to expand awareness and have fun within HerCampus throughout her college experience!