This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Howdy Ags! Welcome to a brand new semester! A new chance to make up what you mucked up last semester.

And boy, do we need that second chance! For those of you who got the grades you wanted, bravo. No one likes you. For those of you who could use the extra help, and do not settle for the whole “Cs get degrees”, here are a few tips to ensure a successful semester:

1. As soon as you get your syllabus, highlight and make note of the important dates.

If your semester is hour packed, chances are you’re going to have trouble remembering those crucial dates. WRITE. THEM. DOWN. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I forgot I had something due and end up writing it the night before. Don’t add stress to your life. Write it down.

2. Make studying a part of your routine.

If you don’t study, you’re not passing bud. You have got to get into the habit of setting some time apart to read and absorb the material that has just been presented to you. Do not stash your notes away into the depths of your backpack and look at them the day before exams. You are not going to learn cell structure for Genetics 101 in two days. Take that extra hour you use to watch Netflix to study.

3. Read over your notes daily and rewrite them.

Yes, you wrote every single word the slides had during the lecture, but did you really listen? No? I didn’t think so. This is why I think this part is important. During your study time, look back at your notes and re-write them so that they make sense to you. That way, when the exam week comes along you’re not stuck wondering what you meant.

4. Cornell Notes.

Remember back in high school when your teachers taught you how to take notes because they thought you were sure to fail? Turns out this method is quite handy. Look over the slides your professor places on e-campus and pick out key terms and ideas to place on the left side, and the notes and definitions of the words on the right. It is an easy and organized way to keep track of your notes. 

5. Attend class 

You may think missing a day here and there won’t hurt, but you’re actually affecting your grade a lot. If your class is two days a week, you are missing half of the material or in some cases a chapter or two. Do yourself a favor and go to class. And while you’re there make sure to be making the most of your time. Turn off your phone or put it on airplane mode and place it at the bottom of your backpack so you’re not tempted to look at it during class.

6. Academics over extracurriculars

Lastly, don’t overwhelm yourself with work from ten different organizations. It is important to get involved, but if it is affecting your academic performance then maybe it is time to give something up. Be in organizations that expand your understanding in your field of study. Anything that doesn’t fall under that category only holds you back. Know your limit.

Ruby Majano is an Agricultural Communiations and Journalism major at Texas A&M University. She loves music, poetry and story telling. Ruby aspires to be a print journalist and dreams of one day writing for the New York Times.