6 Things Only Pet Owners Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Once you’ve had the chance to open up your heart and home to a pet, your fate is sealed. The bond between a pet and their owner is otherworldly. The love and affection you have for one another is immeasurable. Essentially, you become your pet’s biggest fan. Pet owners have various ways of displaying their adoration for their fur/scale/feather children and if you’re a pet owner yourself, then you can completely understand and relate to them!

1. Your camera roll is filled with pictures of your pet

You can never take enough pictures of your pet. You regularly whip out your phone to take candid photos of them sleeping, playing, and living their best life because their cuteness is too irresistible not to document. I mean, you literally wait for someone to bring up their pets in a discussion so you can do the same and show off the pictures you have of them. Not to mention, looking back at older photos you have of your pet in your camera roll can really get you in your feels about how much you love them.

2. Referring to your pet as your child

When you love something as much as you love your pet, calling them your child seems like a no brainer. The strongest bonds of love are typically reserved for parents and children and it just makes sense to call your pet your child because of the unconditional love you develop for them. You become a guardian to your pet right when you take them in and that doesn’t change as they get older. Pet owners get judged big time for calling pets their children but hey, you raise and care for them so call them your baby all you want!

3. Unapologetically posting about them on social media  

Your social media posts are never the same after getting a pet. Suddenly you’re posting all about them whether that be through pictures and videos of them or posting stories about something crazy or cute they did that day. Snapchat and Instagram become great tools to bless all your followers with just how darn adorable your pet is. It’s not uncommon to post your pet so much that you just end up making a separate Instagram account altogether, dedicated to showing how special they are and showcasing their everyday life.

4. Having multiple nicknames to call them in different moods

The nicknames you usually call your pet come out of nowhere and just kind of stick with time. You have one specifically for when you’re loving on them and another for when they ruin your expensive college textbook. Somehow, your pet knows you’re referring to them no matter what name you use.

5. Trying not to disrupt their sleep at any given time

Getting out of bed in the morning is super challenging after seeing how serene your pet is sleeping next to you. It’s hard not to want to cancel all the plans you have lined up for the day just so you can stay all cuddled up with them and let them sleep, especially when all that’s standing in the way of that is an 8 a.m. Frankly, it could be the middle of the day and there may be homework and dishes to be done but if your pet is sleeping on you, you decide to set those aside to do at some later time just so your pet can continue using you as a pillow.

6. Getting home as quickly as possible to spend time with them

Most of the time you are away from your pet is spent on wishing you were with them. When school and work is all taken care of, you just want to return home ASAP and spend the rest of your time with them. The happiness of being greeted by your pet when getting home is like no other! You can really feel the love right when you’re bombarded with it as you’re opening the front door.

Our furry, feathery, and scaly companions deserve all the love in the world and while there is no specific “right” way to show this love, we can display this devotion in similar ways. Just know that for every person that says that you’re crazy for loving your pet this much, there’s a hundred more people that understand you and are ready to argue against that!  

Browser Image: source

Danielle Villa is an Animal Science major and Entomology minor at Texas A&M University. She spends most of her time studying to get into veterinary school but when she isn't, she's writing, watching Korean dramas, and giving all the cuddles to her dog.
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." – Ernest Hemingway Carina received her B.A. in English from Texas A&M University in May 2019. She was employed on campus at the University Writing Center as a Writing Consultant and in the Department of English as a Digital Media Assistant. She was the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus at TAMU chapter and was also the President of TAMU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society. She previously interned with the Her Campus National Team as a Chapter Advisor and with KVIA ABC-7 News as a News Correspondent Assistant.